Setting Exposure using Manual Setting for XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 9th, 2003, 12:26 AM   #1
New Boot

Setting Exposure using Manual Setting for XL1s

Hi,

Is there a way to know what's the right exposure to use for an XL1s when it's set at Manual? Do I need to buy a light meter? If so, any recommendations? I've tried just using the viewfinder, but when I play the tape on a T.V., everything looks different. Everythings always seems to look good when I use the viewfinder.

Thanks,

Leland
Leland Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #2
Wrangler

No luck using the exposure meter that is shown in the top left of the VF under manual mode?
Old April 9th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, I just saw it. I couldn't find this information in the instruction manual. It's also in the same place the XL1s displays the zoom status.

Leland
Leland Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yep, it's a little annoying sometimes to have the zoom meter come over the exposure meter.
Old April 11th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

For setting exposure in video most cameras use zebra patterns. Turn this option on you'll see stripes in the viewfinder that correlate to a certain brightness level and above. The XL-1S is able to be set for 80 to 100 IRE for zebra pattern.

I set mine for 80 IRE and set exposure for skin tones, so any bright areas that are 80 IRE or up will have stripes on it. Some like it less (70 IRE), but that is the lowest I can get and I find it pulls all of the detail out of a face without blowing up hot spots. Just adjust the exposure until the hotest spot on the face has a bit of zebra crawl and you should be good.

More difficult with landscape, but in that case I set my zebra pattern to 100 IRE to make sure and keep the very hotest spots from going off the waveform monitor. It almost a "try and find the happy spot" scenerio there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog