about $550 difference between xl1s and pd150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

about $550 difference between xl1s and pd150

Doing some online shopping.

Getting ready to buy two cameras for wedding and event videography. Was leaning towards pd150 because of lowlight capabilities.

But I have to admit, the xl1s seems like alot more camera for about $550 more.

Can someone tell me why you would choose the xl1s for wedding and event videography. Please weigh the low light factor in.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old March 24th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #2
Wrangler

Just a thought, you might also look at the VX-2000 which would widen the gap even further (if you don't need the PD-150 specific features). The V2k would give you the same image chips and low light capabilities.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you are looking specifcally at lowlight capabilities then the Sony is the way to go. And as mentioned if you don't need the added features of the PD150 buy the VX2000.

Just did a side by side test of the XL-1S and a Sony VX2000 in lowlight conditions. The Sony was almost 2 f stops better.

The Xl-1S has an excellent layout of controls, interchanable lenses (if that matters) and I like the picture color better than Sony.

If you can rent them and do test, that would be your best bet.

Good luck.
Old April 12th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

The way to approach it is, ask yourself if you need a compact all-in-one camcorder such as the PD150 / VX2000 / GL2, or do you need a modular camera system with open architecture (the XL1S). The correct answer depends entirely on what you're doing and what you're most comfortable with.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #5
Wrangler

Re: about $550 difference between xl1s and pd150

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Richman : Doing some online shopping.

Getting ready to buy two cameras for wedding and event videography. Was leaning towards pd150 because of lowlight capabilities.

But I have to admit, the xl1s seems like alot more camera for about $550 more.

Can someone tell me why you would choose the xl1s for wedding and event videography. Please weigh the low light factor in.

Thanks in advance.

Mark -->>>

Don't underestimate the impressiveness of the XL1 over other cameras. It looks more expensive than the PD150, and may get you extra jobs over people that use smaller cameras.

As far as light goes,I don't think either of the cameras have low enough light capabilities to shoot a wedding reception with all the lights turned off, so you'll probably need on on camera light anyway.
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If the bride wanted her wedding reception to be held in near darkness then my feeling is that this is what she'll get in her wedding video. How could she ever complain? I'm even loath to use more than +6dB because I know it'll spoil the DVD, and using on-camera lights surely defeats the object.

In these cases the best low light capability is the parameter to aim for, and without doubt the PD150/VX is the camera that wears that crown. I also shoot straight into the disco lights as invariably this makes the place look better lit, even if all the guests are silhouettes.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:58 AM   #7
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : If the bride wanted her wedding reception to be held in near darkness then my feeling is that this is what she'll get in her wedding video. How could she ever complain? - >>>

Heh. Heh heh heh....
I'd better not answer that because I'm sure there are some women reading this...

From the weddings (and videos) I've seen, the house lights all get shut way down for the dances, below the level of what I would deem acceptible quality. From what everyone says, the PD150 is a little better for lower light, but not that much better.

There;s alot to be said for a smaller lighter camera like the PD150 though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog