DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Wireless mic system recommendations needed ASAP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/8952-wireless-mic-system-recommendations-needed-asap.html)

Mike Wendland April 24th, 2003 05:43 PM

Wireless mic system recommendations needed ASAP

What's the best sub $1,000 wireless mic system for the XL1? Need complete package of lav, xmtr and rcvr.
News-type ENG will be the primary use.
I need to order by end of the week.
Thanks!

Chris Hurd April 24th, 2003 06:11 PM

Hi Mike,

You have a *very* cool website... most interesting... a warm welcome to you and thanks for joining us here.

My current favorite wireless lav package right now is the Audio Technica U100. It's less than $900 for the whole kit. My friend Steve Savanyu works for AT, he should be along here shortly to assist with any questions that this product page link doesn't answer. This system is the one chosen by the Canon tech reps at their home base in New York. Hope this helps,

Jeff Donald April 24th, 2003 07:16 PM

If you wanted to spend a little more, check out the Lectrosonics 100 series. The AT ones Chris recommends would be my under $1,000 choice too. The Lectrosonics are used by many broadcasters.

Mike Wendland April 24th, 2003 08:08 PM

Thanks Chris and Jeff..

I'm looking at the ATW-U101 Body-Pack. Do I want the 656-668 MHz or the 728-740 MHz system?
Also looking at the AT831cTS microphone - less power module. Cable terminated with TA5F connector for ATW-U1-1 body-pack. That's all I need, right? It's the standard 5 pin wireless plug?
ANy idea on prices and where to order?

Also looked at the Lectrosonic UM100 belt xmtr and UCE 100 rcvr. I see no lav mic added with it, any suggestions? Where's best place to buy it?

I'm in serious need of prices.

Thanks again guys.

Jeff Donald April 24th, 2003 08:27 PM

I don't know about the AT mics etc. The Lectrosonics can be quoted by B & H Photo and Video. Lectrosonics are MAP (minimum advertised price) B & H will email you a very competitive price.

I use the Lectrosonics M150 omnidirectional lav. They also have the M140 Cardioid lav available.

Steve Savanyu April 25th, 2003 09:39 AM

Mike,

I use the A-T U100 system with my XL1s.

I have the bodypack system along with the extra plug-on transmitter. The AT831cT5 mic is terminated to work with the U100, but I prefer the new subminiature Omni mic AT899cT5. This mic is much smaller and lower profile then the AT831cT5 and has great sound. But, it is a bit more expensive then the AT831cT5.

B&H also carries A-T products. They often run specials on the AT U100 system.

SS

Aaron Koolen April 25th, 2003 05:04 PM

Mike, I don't know how "sub 1000" you want to go, but I recently purchased a Sennheiser 100 series (You could get the 500 series well within your budget) and used it this easter, shooting a series of workshops and interviews. I found it to be more than adequate, for the price it was ( ~US$(500)) Then again you could be a step up from what I need...

Cheers
Aaron

Nathan Gifford April 26th, 2003 02:58 PM

Whatever Chris and Jeff recommend is going to be pretty good.

I have one of the Sennheiser Evolution 100 systems. It works very well and is well suited for ENG operation. I believe a EW112P sells around $450. You might also want to look at the $500 system too.