Wireless mic system recommendations needed ASAP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 24th, 2003, 05:43 PM   #1
Tourist

Wireless mic system recommendations needed ASAP

What's the best sub $1,000 wireless mic system for the XL1? Need complete package of lav, xmtr and rcvr.
News-type ENG will be the primary use.
I need to order by end of the week.
Thanks!
Old April 24th, 2003, 06:11 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Mike,

You have a *very* cool website... most interesting... a warm welcome to you and thanks for joining us here.

My current favorite wireless lav package right now is the Audio Technica U100. It's less than $900 for the whole kit. My friend Steve Savanyu works for AT, he should be along here shortly to assist with any questions that this product page link doesn't answer. This system is the one chosen by the Canon tech reps at their home base in New York. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #3
Warden

If you wanted to spend a little more, check out the Lectrosonics 100 series. The AT ones Chris recommends would be my under $1,000 choice too. The Lectrosonics are used by many broadcasters.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:08 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks Chris and Jeff..

I'm looking at the ATW-U101 Body-Pack. Do I want the 656-668 MHz or the 728-740 MHz system?
Also looking at the AT831cTS microphone - less power module. Cable terminated with TA5F connector for ATW-U1-1 body-pack. That's all I need, right? It's the standard 5 pin wireless plug?
ANy idea on prices and where to order?

Also looked at the Lectrosonic UM100 belt xmtr and UCE 100 rcvr. I see no lav mic added with it, any suggestions? Where's best place to buy it?

I'm in serious need of prices.

Thanks again guys.
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #5
Warden

I don't know about the AT mics etc. The Lectrosonics can be quoted by B & H Photo and Video. Lectrosonics are MAP (minimum advertised price) B & H will email you a very competitive price.

I use the Lectrosonics M150 omnidirectional lav. They also have the M140 Cardioid lav available.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #6
Boss Hog

Mike,

I use the A-T U100 system with my XL1s.

I have the bodypack system along with the extra plug-on transmitter. The AT831cT5 mic is terminated to work with the U100, but I prefer the new subminiature Omni mic AT899cT5. This mic is much smaller and lower profile then the AT831cT5 and has great sound. But, it is a bit more expensive then the AT831cT5.

B&H also carries A-T products. They often run specials on the AT U100 system.

SS
Old April 25th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #7
Trustee

Mike, I don't know how "sub 1000" you want to go, but I recently purchased a Sennheiser 100 series (You could get the 500 series well within your budget) and used it this easter, shooting a series of workshops and interviews. I found it to be more than adequate, for the price it was ( ~US$(500)) Then again you could be a step up from what I need...

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #8
Wrangler

Whatever Chris and Jeff recommend is going to be pretty good.

I have one of the Sennheiser Evolution 100 systems. It works very well and is well suited for ENG operation. I believe a EW112P sells around $450. You might also want to look at the $500 system too.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog