Buying an XL1s or a GL2 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 23rd, 2003, 02:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Buying an XL1s or a GL2 ?

I'm shopping for a good prosumer/semi-pro camera. I can get a GL2 for 2319 euro and a used XL1s for 2888 euro. I can't decide which one to buy. I'm a student so my budget is small and 2888 euro is *really* stretching it.
The XL1s has larger CCD's and (thus?) is more capable in low-light situations. On the downside, it is an older camera.
The GL2 is newer and seems to produce sharper images due to higher resolution (or does it?).
I'm leaning toward the GL2 despite its apparent poorer low-light capabilities, but I also don't want to have to regret not buying the XL1s later on.
My goal is to produce documentary-style footage.
What would YOU do?

TIA,
Scott
Scott Poolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Scott

I really don't think the low-light performance is any worse on the GL2. If you don't need the modularity of the XL1S and its many interchangeable components, then the GL2 is the best way to go. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:58 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Chris. No, I don't think I need the modularity of the XL1(s) at this point. So I think I'll just go for the GL2 after all, and by the time I'm ready to upgrade the XL2 will probably be available.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 01:42 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Scott,
I second Chris' suggestion. Speaking as an owner (and lover) of both cameras, I would definitely select the GL-2 under the circumstances you've specified. It's really a wonderful camera whose compactness (versus the XL1s) you might find handy for your immediate purposes. One other consideration is the relative cost of an essential accessory: a good tripod. A fully-loaded XL1s can get heavy and require a more expensive tripod head for good support. Conversely, the GL-2 is much lighter and many good, less expensive tripods/heads are available for such a load.

Have a ball!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Assume they were the exact same price..... which camera is simply better overall and why???

Is the picture of the XL1S better or slightly worse???

Is it more awkward as a film camera is, or better???
The lenses aspect is cool, but not really useful unless you got big bucks.
Old April 27th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

I haven't tried the GL2, but I have had the XL1s and still use the GL1. I liked the fuctionality and imagry of the XL1s over the GL1, and it felt better on my shoulder. However, it is a heavy, awkward pig. I get good enough quality out of the GL1, without the extra weight and accesories. Does this help any?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Sure.
Old April 27th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #8

The XL1 isn't heavy in absolute measures. Certainly not compared to a full-size 12-15lb ENG camera. But the XL1's industrial design places its center of gravity in front of your shoulder which ultimately places most of its weight at your elbow. After 15-20 mins of hand-holding this can get very heavy, especially if you're using the FU-1000 viewfinder and the 16x manual lens. Such a configuration will increase the camera's weight significantly, all towards the front.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old April 27th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Capt. Quirk

Trust me on this... after holding it on your shoulder for an hour, your arm gets kind of sore. It gets real uncomfortable, real fast. They are a joy to shoot, but I recommend a tripod for any length of time.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've decided on the GL2 (or XM2 as it is called here in Europe).
But I won't be getting it until next month, because my mom has forbidden me to use my savings money to buy the cam, so I'll have to wait for my salary and holiday bonus.
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #11

Bravo for mom! Let us know how you like the XM2 when you get it, Scott.

Old April 27th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #12
Wrangler

If you want a camera for run 'n gun, get the GL2.

If you want a camera to impress people, get the XL1s.

Ignoring the lens capabilities and bigger chips of the XL1, they are both excellent cameras and deliver spectacular pictures.

A naked XL1 may be 6lbs, but add on a wireless reciever or shotgun mic, XLR adapter, on camera light, LCD screen and bigger batteries, and you have a 10+ lb camera. It gets real heavy, real fast.

Oh, if money is short, buy a used GL1. They are very good as well, and you can get one for about $1000us cheaper than a new GL2.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog