Question about uprezzing Scarlet footage. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Question about uprezzing Scarlet footage.

Hi,

This subject came up over at scarletuser.net. I'm wondering if using Cineform to uprez Scarlet's 3K footage to 4K and then projecting at 4K will be better than downrezzing to 2K and projecting at 2K?

The theory I'm working with here is that with a 4K projection, I'll see all of Scarlet's 3K (2.35K) resolution and resolved detail. While with a 2K projection, the most I could see is 2K.

Someone mentioned that uprezzing introduces artifacts to the image and would outweigh the benefit of the extra preserved detail. So, how well does Cineform handle uprezzing and do you think that uprezzing 3K to 4K (and projecting in 4K) would be better than down rezzing 3k to 2K (and projecting in 2k)?

David?

Thanks.
Phillip Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you are in the first 10 rows, with perfect eyesight, and you work in the film business, you may just the notice between a 2K and 4K projector. If you could A/B the projectors (you can't), then you might just notice at row 12-15. I have played with 4K projectors and they are very nice, you just don't experience the difference without going to an Imax format. Pixel size to viewing angle of today standard theatres doesn't require 4K. I wouldn't be concerned. Upres 3K RAW to 4K RGB will work just as will as down-ressing to 2K.
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, David.
Phillip Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Phillip, there is another reason why 2K will be indistinguishable from 4K for Scarlet source. Remember Scarlet will be 3K Bayer. You will (almost) never project Bayer source. When you finish your project in post, at some point you will render to a traditional YUV or RGB format. When you render you will also DeBayer. DeBayered 3K material after conversion to RGB has inherent spatial resolution that is only modestly larger than 2K. The "accepted" ratios often used by people for conversion of spatial resolution is that the RGB-equivalent of Bayer source data is about 70% - 75%. If you use 75% of 3K (3072), your RGB-equivalent spatial resolution (horizontally) is 2304 pixels, only modestly larger than 2K.
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase