Premiere CS3 Multicam and Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 9th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere CS3 Multicam and Cineform

I am presently trialing Cineform Aspect HD for use in a multicamera sequence in Premiere CS3. But having a slight issue with it...

I have tried it with a simple two camera sequence -after making the cuts in the multicam window, when I go back to the timeline sequence the camera 1 cuts playback fine in realtime, but the camera 2 cuts are completely out of synch. However, if I scrub through the timeline they are both fine, and if I export the timeline out to a Cineform avi it is also ok.... so its only the realtime playback in the timeline that is an issue (but important to check the cuts etc!).

I don't think its a premiere issue as I have created several other multicamera projects before without issue. I have tried rerendering, restarting etc to no avail.

Is there a setting I am forgetting somewhere?...Or is it the trial version? Otherwise Cineform seems the way to go. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dan
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Trustee

I did not have that problem with a two-shot m-cam project. It was edited in segments (heats and features at a local auto race track) in different sequence for each segment. Each stayed in sync with no drift. It was other things in Cineform that went pear-shaped and caused me to take French leave of it.

I've also done the same type of m-cam work in both HDV and SD DV for other races with no problems.

Not sure CFRM is the culprit here. Try recapturing a few minutes or so from each camera in DV and play with it. If it stays in sync, you might be able to fault CFRM. If not, PP is the likely culprit.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for replying Tripp, I appreciate that. I am familiar with using multicam settings in Premiere, and recently edited a 2 hour show using it (in SD). But now trying it in HD with Cineform seems to be a bit of an issue. My guess is that it is not rendering the multi 'effect', such as when you apply a non-cineform effect e.g. b/w when you scrub through the timeline it will show the b/w effect but when you play it back in realtime it will not (same issue as the multicam).

I am presently upgrading my computer system, so will try again and see if there is any difference. Otherwise I am very happy with my Cineform trial and will be seriously considering purchasing it... but interested to learn of other things that you mention that went 'pear-shaped'... (my other requirements involve 24-25p conversion, and AVCHD file conversion, but haven't tested either yet)....
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #4
New Boot

I have also been having a terrible time using cf for multicam in ppro cs3.

Here's what I have : multicam in the timeline is fine, but in the multicam monitor, I get what looks like about 10 fps...not very helpful...

I don't have sync drift though.

IIUC, Tripp, apart from your other problems, you're getting good performance out of multicam using cf ? How are you managing that ? Any particular settings ?

I've contacted support, but after getting me to try to wrap everything in .mov, which didn't do anything, they basically told me there was nothing to be done...

So if anybody has any tips on improve the cineform multicam experience....
Samuel Murez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Samuel

Seems we are in the same boat. I have just upgraded my system to a quad core with 3G of RAM, running Vista Premiem with the CS3 suite and updates, but still no joy... when I go to the multicamera monitor a few seconds at most appears and then that's it...nothing more, no recording can be done. My hunch is there could be a setting missing somewhere....

Maybe I will try the .mov workflow option. Any advice on settings would be appreciated ...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase