What is the best way to output to Flash? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What is the best way to output to Flash?

I was wondering what is the best workflow to output a flash file from Premiere Pro using Cineform. I want to display a movie clip in a Flash player.
I am using HDLink to capture HDV from my HV20 camera.
Hopefully, I can use the tools available in Premiere ie Adobe Media Encoder or Export Movie.

Thanks in advance.
John Rich
John Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Trustee

I'd recommend downscaling Cineform video in VDub to the dimensions you want (within CFHD codec specs).

Then encode into Flash using software like On2 FlashPro ($$$) or Sothink Video Encoder for Adobe Flash ($$). Results are the same quality-wise.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Try Xvid4PSP (Winnydows: XviD4PSP & GlassBalance: News).

It is a free tool and doing a great job encoding to FLV
Just import your Cinform AVI file and on the software choose to encode FLV.
Don't forget to set Video -> Decoding -> AVI Files to AVISource,
or for faster converting, AVI files to > Direct Show

If you need more help just let me know.

Johnnie
Johnnie Behiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for replying.

I looked at all three of your suggestions. However, I wanted to use something I had if possible.

While I can't be sure this method is as good as yours, I downsized the footage using Premiere and CF's codec (I deinterlaced the footage on capture with HDLink and used a progressive preset for the Premiere project and the output from Premiere) and then output to Flash with player and all from Camtasia.

It seems to look good, but the pictures were only 640x480.

Thanks again for your help.
John
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Major Player

I tried the Xvid4PSP program, of all the flash conversion I have tried, this one really does a nice job, free too. I never could get squeeze to work at all, even got support to give some lame reason why, Super does allright, not as good as this one tho. Flix is too expensive for me
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm a real novice here. Would you let me know what you mean by "nice job". Do you mean with regard to the quality of the picture or ease of use?
Also, does the Xvid4PSP program create all the additional files required for the web?

I guess also, I'm looking for a work-flow with Cineform going from tape capture to web. The one I mentioned above seems to be ok, but based on previous experience, you guys always have a better way for what I do.

Thanks in advance.
John Rich
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Major Player

the only way is to do what I have done in the past, experiment with every program you can demo, every format, avi, mpeg 2 and 4, avchd, interlaced, progressive, etc etc etc, ?I tried every flash conversion program I could demo, just go to download.com and start downloading, take one standard clip rendered in every format, and start testing, it takes time, alot of time,
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

There's a free encoding software called SUPER that works pretty good. Be careful on their page though because you have to hunt around for the right place to download it. There's a lot of other encoding softwares on their page for some reason.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Trustee

SUPER seems to be popular, but in my tests, was unsatisfactory since it failed some Flash conversions, and its interface is cumbersome IMHO...
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
SUPER seems to be popular, but in my tests, was unsatisfactory since it failed some Flash conversions, and its interface is cumbersome IMHO...
I've had some issues with conversions failing but one thing I'll say for SUPER is that it gives you a troubleshooting list to fix the failures. So far I've always been able to fix the failures.
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #11
Major Player

run a test Xvid4PSP against Super, I uninstalled Super after using Xvid4PSP, and converted all my mpeg4 clips on my site to flash using Xvid4PSP. great program, wish I had found it earlier,
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
run a test Xvid4PSP against Super, I uninstalled Super after using Xvid4PSP, and converted all my mpeg4 clips on my site to flash using Xvid4PSP. great program, wish I had found it earlier,
Was there a perceptible difference in image quality?
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #13
Major Player

all the clips on my site now when you hit flash are redone with this program, they are big files though and still need time to load,
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #14
Trustee

Hugh, where are you hosting your pet video site? The host appears to be super slow in loading both the front page, and videos.

Had to bail out before actually watching the video chosen.

So the delay is not so much because of your video size, but slow host, it appears.
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #15
Major Player

cirtex, and they have server issues from time to time like all hosts, especially on video sharing. My site is getting larger with more activity and it always happens when you least expect it. I heard from them this morning and they said they had server spike and is now fixed. if the site gets big I will have to get more bandwidth, but it costs and I don't have any advertising yet, need more videos, members, viewers, etc. any way the flash videos are on hughmobley.co, but although they are good they don't play well, large files, so I am working on them now. godaddy has issues too
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase