Computer recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Computer recommendations

I need to build a new editing box. Despite the best efforts of my brilliant IT guy, the Dell 690 I have locks up, or crashes, or CS3 gets confused and thinks files are in use when they aren't.
At one point on the Cineform website there was a list of how their computers were configured. I can't find it now. I just want to edit SD, HDV, AVCHD (I will upgrade to Prospect) in CS4 without crashing, rebooting, etc.

Thanks
Warren
Warren Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

there is a tons of steps to follows.
1) choose the right hardware. It is not because it is the best in its class that it will fit with the others component. For example a high end video card is just too much.
a $70 Nvidia 8500 usually is ok for video editing, you still can buy a more powerfull later.
The best start is to take a good motherboard. Unfortunately, DELL, HP and others do not name their components, that is usually why I avoid them.
Most of case come with an average power supply, so you better need to buy a more powerfull one.
Keep thing simple, it will work better.
Do not be shy on hard disk. Samsung is making a wonderful Spinpoint F1 at 1 Terabyte costing almost nothing and running like hell. mount them in a raid mirror, so you will not need for backup and get better performance in reading.
add another one for your data and choose a small 60gig for installing XP.
Choose fast memory, DDR2 a 1066 or higher is the best for your money, 3 gig is already a lot of ram. When a boot my PC I hardly get 160MB of ram busy, and in Premiere CS3 in an HDV project it goes up to 750 but not more...
Optimize the system to run the minimum process. 80% of the process started by defaut by XP are useless for video editing. 15 processes at boot are ok.
If youo take the regular install made by DELL or HP you start with 50 process running nothing else than BS.
Interfaces are important, that is what you will work with. Big screen 24" minimum, even 2 of them, good mouse and keyboard.

Last edited by Giroud Francois; December 17th, 2008 at 02:19 AM.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Warren, here is the table we posted on the CineForm website: Aspect HD and Prospect HD for Adobe Premiere Pro
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Major Player

A good starting point would be Core i7 920 CPU, a decent X58 chipset motherboard, and 3GB DDR3. Look into a decent cooling solution for the CPU (Thermalright TRUE 120 is the best but you need to buy a separate 120mm fan) as this is a hot chip, but its CineForm performance is absolutely staggering.

Moving to the new i7 architecture also makes for better future-proofing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase