CineForm Discontinues Neo HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 30th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Major Player

CineForm Discontinues Neo HDV

After a great 4-year run, CineForm is discontinuing Neo HDV effective immediately. Neo HDV was the industry's second HDV editing product after Aspect HD, so discontinuing Neo HDV is, as with Aspect HD, nostalgic for us.

Why are we making the change? As the HD camera market has evolved with sub-$1000 consumer price points and new formats like AVCHD, we have decided we can better serve new customers by offering a new entry-level product called Neo Scene that is priced at $129. Neo Scene will convert HDV and AVCHD source files to 10-bit CineForm files at up to 1920x1080 spatial resolution. We have removed many of the more professional features from Neo Scene that many in the sub-$1000 camcorder category will have less use for. So Neo HD and Neo 4K remain the "premium" products. Neo Scene is immediately available for Trial download and purchase from our website: CineForm Home Page.

Neo HD and Neo 4K remain with a richer set of features for independent and professional projects. We describe feature differences in more detail by following the link below. We are offering our Neo HDV customers a number of migration choice for your next CineForm product. Rather than spell out the migration details in this post, the following link describes the choices. Scroll down the page to the discussion about Neo Scene and Neo HDV.

December 2008 Product Updates

Not to be lost in the product changes, also note that effective immediately we have lowered the prices of Neo HD (both Windows and Mac) from $599 to $499.

Happy New Year!
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow, this is fantastic news. Neo Scene is a really great deal.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:24 AM   #3
Trustee

Trying to decide between the Panasonic HMC150 and Canon Mark II. Will Neo Scene transcode both?

Thanks,

Last edited by Mark Williams; December 31st, 2008 at 07:26 AM.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:36 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Trying to decide between the Panasonic HMC150 and Canon Mark II. Will Neo Scene transcode both?

Thanks,
Canon 5D Mk-II is not an HDV or AVCHD camcorder so it requires more than NEO Scene offers. Neo Scene is HDV/AVCHD only. All our other tools do support Canon 5D Mk-II.
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Major Player

If I download the new neo and neo hd as both demos to get a comparison to my neo hdv are they going to conflict with it and vegas
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Hugh, you simply need to uninstall one before installing another. Don't deactivate anything, just uninstall.
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Question: If I'm currently using Neo HDV and upgrade to HD, is there still the checkbox in "Preferences" if I'm using a Sony V1U or a Canon HV20 to "Remove 3-2 Pulldown"?

Also, if I'm taping in 8 Bit and then using Sony Vegas, will there be any problems using HD if it changes the footage to 10 bit?

One small gripe (as 99% of the time I'm a huge Cineform fan): if I choose to not upgrade with Neo HD, I'm either stuck with a choice to not get future upgrades with Neo HDV or pay for an upgrade to a different product. I know it's petty, but it'd be nice to be able to switch over to the lower grade product without having to pay $69.
James Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Campbell View Post
Question: If I'm currently using Neo HDV and upgrade to HD, is there still the checkbox in "Preferences" if I'm using a Sony V1U or a Canon HV20 to "Remove 3-2 Pulldown"?
Yes!

Quote:
Also, if I'm taping in 8 Bit and then using Sony Vegas, will there be any problems using HD if it changes the footage to 10 bit?
No!

Quote:
One small gripe (as 99% of the time I'm a huge Cineform fan): if I choose to not upgrade with Neo HD, I'm either stuck with a choice to not get future upgrades with Neo HDV or pay for an upgrade to a different product. I know it's petty, but it'd be nice to be able to switch over to the lower grade product without having to pay $69.
I know, I have to pay for software upgrades from time-to-time, and you (I) always take a deep breath when pulling out the credit card. All software companies do this - it's an important part of the business model that allows us to continue adding new features which we do frequently. In this specific case, if we didn't discontinue Neo HDV we would have moved shortly to version 4 for which there would have been an upgrade charge anyway.
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I understand about the upgrade. It's only the exact emotion you described. But understandable. I'm probably going with Neo HD anyways as I may be going with the Sony Ex-1 or 3 soon.
James Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:53 AM   #10
Inner Circle

So I downloaded Scene. Have Vista machine from Dell. 3 gig memory. Quad Core form Intell.

Using Vegas. Intalled, but I did not download an AVC encoder, as it suggested.

In trying to start HDLink a runtime error is immediately reported. Is anyone else dealing with this type of issue ?

On top of that, the Adobe pdf manual file won't open. If I uninstall and try to reinstall again, will the trial be gone ? This happened to me on Aspect trial a while back, so I never got to try it.
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Major Player

Chris, we apologize. There was an error in the build that made the manual unreadable. The application installer is fine. A new build with the proper manual install will be up soon. In the mean time here is a direct link to the manual: http://www.cineform.com/downloads-ot...anual_v1.0.pdf.
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Inner Circle

WMV of error message.

David and all:

Thank you. I added the AC3 encoder. I am having the problem depicted in film posted below, at start up. I can't even get into program.

I have been having trouble with HDLink NEOHDV on both my XP and this machine (a Dell XPS 420 with a media center, with Vista). And I am able to capture with HDVSplit, so I am not thinking its a firewire issue. It is the HV20 I use as my capture deck.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv SceneProblem.wmv (736.6 KB, 146 views)
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Seems to be a device driver issue as that is the first thing HDlink does. Do you have AJA, Decklink or Matrox drivers installed?
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Dave:

This Dell does have a TV card installed. I don't use it, and I just might pull it out, and uninstall any software, and see if that might be a problem. I'll let you know.

(OT: By the way, did a film for DVC15 using NeoHDV for pulldown removal with my HV20, shooting 24p, and FX1 with Cineframe24. Really came out pretty nice.)
Old January 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi, David.

Neo Scene looks like quite a bargain and will probably meet most of my needs. Is there an upgrade path from Scene to Neo HD or Neo HD 4K if I need more later on?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase