CineForm Discontinues Neo HDV - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #46
Regular Crew

sorry Dave, I modified my post after you responded... am I missing something re: no audio in my AVIs?
Ed Kishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #47
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kishel View Post
sorry Dave, I modified my post after you responded... am I missing something re: no audio in my AVIs?
Did you install the AC3 filter? Download from: SourceForge.net: AC3Filter: Downloading ..., install and try your conversions again.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I will try it when I get home. One question remains about intermediate Neo Scene in general-

how does this codec claim to be better than the original file, quote from the press release: "higher visual quality than editing native camera sources". I always thought that you can not increase color or resolution beyond what the camera's raw footage creates.

I understand it as this: Neo Scene will not increase resolution or chroma in the footage as it is percieved viaually, but will convert it into a file that will handle post processing better than the native file will. Basically you can throw more effects/corrections/adjustments at it than you could at the native file, and the final render would come out better in the end.

Am I correct in this assumption?

And further more, once one buys the product, is this new 1920x1080 v4.5.0 codec avail for use as an export option out of Vegas or Premiere Pro without going through Neo first? I like the idea of upgrading Vegas' crusty old cineform codec.

thanks,
Ed
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #49
Major Player

Ed, you're exactly right. At the point of conversion the CineForm file is not better than the source. But after you render effects, transitions, etc, the result is better than if you rendered using the native codec.

Also when chroma is increased from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 we aren't *adding* chroma fidelity that didn't exist in the source, but the 4:2:2 container adds lots of headroom for chroma preservation during the rest of the workflow.

The press release tends to simplify the topic, but for those that want to dive down deeper, you've nailed it.

Yes, Neo Scene updates the very old CineForm encoder inside Vegas to the new Neo Scene encoder.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #50
Regular Crew

sounds good, the only drawback I see is how large the file sizes become. But with 1.5 TB drives costing about $120 seems like a non issue. I have 1TB now for my capture drive, and at 35GB per hour, that should give me about 28hrs of space for the converted footage :) I can live with that.

If I purchase it, do I have to uninstall the demo first, or can I put in a serial number. I dont like the install-uninstall-install again thing
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #51
Major Player

Ed, there's no need to uninstall and reinstall. Our Trial download is identical to the link for the purchased version. You can activate the Trial when you receive the S/N after purchase.

I bought a 1TB drive at Fry's two weeks ago for $99 - amazing.
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase