DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Double Checking: Neo Scene has 24p pulldown? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/140887-double-checking-neo-scene-has-24p-pulldown.html)

Brian Boyko January 5th, 2009 01:36 AM

Double Checking: Neo Scene has 24p pulldown?

Just double checking because I'm having trouble finding this information on your Web site.

If all I really need is something that will take the 24p-in-60i files recorded in the Canon HG10 & 20 series cameras, and convert them into true 24p files which can be edited in Sony Vegas, I want Neo Scene, correct?

David Taylor January 5th, 2009 10:02 AM

Yes - Neo Scene includes 24p extraction. I'll add a little more clarity on the product page.

Brian Boyko January 5th, 2009 03:08 PM

Awesome! Thanks.

Only other question - and probably one I can get answered via e-mail - if I buy a copy for myself at home, do I need to buy a second copy for myself at work? Is it per site or per user?

Another thing: I've been archiving my files as H.264 .mov files (a few are mpeg-2). Can I use Neo Scene to quickly create mastering files?

Also, can Neo Scene convert only -part- of a file to Cineform, for intermediate codec editing? Say 5 minutes out of a long AVCHD interview?

David Newman January 5th, 2009 03:53 PM

The licensing is officially one user one machine, but we understand that users have laptops or home PC so we are flexible and allow for two activations. This is not for two users on two PCs, but for single user flexiblity.

"Also, can Neo Scene convert only -part- of a file to Cineform, for intermediate codec editing? Say 5 minutes out of a long AVCHD interview?"

You can stop a converion part way through, and the resulting AVI is valid, but otherwise we convert entire clips.

David Taylor January 5th, 2009 03:55 PM

Brian, following is a post today about licensing for Neo Scene that I answered. Rather than duplicate I'll point you to it: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/989365-post34.html

Regarding archives - yes absolutely. Neo Scene is designed for converting HDV and AVCHD files, so if the sources you want to convert fall within those guidelines then it will be perfect. If you have a broader assortement of AVI or MOV files then Neo HD might be required as it will convert many more file types.

Neo Scene does not do partial conversions. But after conversion you can use Virtual Dub (free utility) to trim clips without the need to render.

Bill Binder January 5th, 2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taylor (Post 989413)
Brian, following is a post today about licensing for Neo Scene that I answered. Rather than duplicate I'll point you to it: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/989365-post34.html

Regarding archives - yes absolutely. Neo Scene is designed for converting HDV and AVCHD files, so if the sources you want to convert fall within those guidelines then it will be perfect. If you have a broader assortement of AVI or MOV files then Neo HD might be required as it will convert many more file types.

Neo Scene does not do partial conversions. But after conversion you can use Virtual Dub (free utility) to trim clips without the need to render.

What is needed to convert 5D Mark II video files?

David Taylor January 5th, 2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Binder (Post 989483)
What is needed to convert 5D Mark II video files?

Bill, there are a couple threads here about converting 5D2 footage using CineForm - they're easy to find. You'll need either Neo HD or Prospect HD. "Today" you need to install some extra components as indicated by the existing threads. "Today" is in quotes because in the next 2-3 weeks we'll eliminate the extra components and will support 5D2 conversions directly in Neo HD/Prospect HD.

Bill Binder January 5th, 2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taylor (Post 989494)
Bill, there are a couple threads here about converting 5D2 footage using CineForm - they're easy to find. You'll need either Neo HD or Prospect HD. "Today" you need to install some extra components as indicated by the existing threads. "Today" is in quotes because in the next 2-3 weeks we'll eliminate the extra components and will support 5D2 conversions directly in Neo HD/Prospect HD.

Thanks, I was kind of hoping Scene would be enough. Oh well, the price is just a little too rich for an amateur who's just making web videos (which is my case). I'd consider buying Scene if it could handle the 5D2 files. I just want to be able to edit 720p intermediates of my 5D2 files in a Vegas timeline for final renders to 640x360 Flash. I've actually got a decent workflow already for batching clips using the built-in Cineform in Vegas (rough edit > events to regions script > batch render to 720p intermediate), but I'm trying to find a solution for the crushed blacks problem in my workflow, so thanks to the QT decoder and the way Vegas works I guess, I'm looking for an easy solution outside of Vegas...

Brian Boyko January 6th, 2009 12:14 PM

Yee Haw.

I fixed the problem.

Here's what I did: I downloaded the trial version of NeoHD, and this wouldn't convert the file either, but it gave me a much better reason: I didn't have an AVCHD codec installed.

Downloading CoreAVC and installing it allowed NeoHD to convert the file to Cineform.

I then uninstalled NeoHD trial and then reinstalled NeoScene.

It's converting now. No errors.

If I had to guess, I think it's just that I didn't have CoreAVC installed, and the cryptic error message didn't help me figure out that was the problem.

:D

David Newman January 6th, 2009 12:57 PM

Brian,
I missed something, which file wouldn't convert, yet adding CoreAVC it would?

Brian Boyko January 6th, 2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 989921)
Brian,
I missed something, which file wouldn't convert, yet adding CoreAVC it would?

Damn, now I've got an audiosync issue. I think it may have something to do with this tape, which I know has a dropped frame somewhere in it.

I'm going to capture to M2T and see if the Audiosync problem is there. Then I'll try Vegas. If nothing else, I can always resync the audio manually.

Brian Boyko January 6th, 2009 10:07 PM

Okay, capturing to M2T and then converting to Cineform to remove pulldown works.

NOW I've got another problem. Importing the converted Cineform files into Sony Vegas, I'm getting a flickering problem. It's fine when I play the cineform file, but once I bring it into sony vegas, it looks like this.

http://www.blogphilo.com/rawfootage/...ffe%20test.mp4

Every 8th frame, for 2 frames, I'm getting that weird color shift.
{EDIT}
Nevermind. Fixed it. Just a fluke, a re-transcode cleared that right up.

Simon Dean January 7th, 2009 09:52 AM

I'm getting that too (The flickering). How did you 'fix it'?

Brian Boyko January 7th, 2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Dean (Post 990489)
I'm getting that too (The flickering). How did you 'fix it'?

I wish I could tell you how, all I know was that I deleted the flickering file, then redid the pulldown (from the M2T file) in NeoScene. This time the flickering was gone.

There was one problem - Rendering to Cineform FROM Vegas, I wasn't able to get audio working. A frustration.

David Newman January 7th, 2009 12:20 PM

Never seen that. I would love to send a short CineForm AVI that does it. If your samples are too long, use VirtualDub to chop the clip using Direct Stream mode. Also use VirtualDub to confirm the error. The clip look like it is switching colorspace, very weird, maybe Vegas only (as it requests the color space from us.)