5d/Neoscene stutter in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

5d/Neoscene stutter in FCP

Can anyone suggest the correct settings in FCP Easy Setup for importing 5d2 files that have been converted to CF 422 in Neoscene?

The files I’ve converted so far run in FCP, but they stutter as if frames are being dropped. Yet when I go on to export them from FCP as QT files they run ok. I’m running a MacBook Pro with 4 GB RAM and all other files run smoothly, so it seems to be purely a 5d/Neoscene problem.

Sorry for posting this in two forums, but I wasn’t sure which was most appropriate: the 5d or the Cineform forum.
Jeremy Nicholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Jeremy,

I already gave my answer over in the 5DII forum. I haven't looked at the Cineform forum until now but as a recent convert to Neoscene I have just been through the same problem with FCP.

It sounds like you may have got the sequence settings wrong. Sequence>Settings>General>QuickTime Video Settings make sure that this is set to Cineform & not H.264

Here are the relevant paragraphs on FCP in the Neoscene ReadMe

Quote:
QuickTime Player with Pro Tools installed

When Apple Pro Tools are installed, the QuickTime Player Preferences panel adds an option to force QuickTime to read all movies with a gamma of 2.2 and to ignore ColorSync profiles. Check this box to maintain consistency between Final Cut Pro and QuickTime Player.

Editing in Final Cut Pro

To prepare Final Cut Pro for editing QuickTime files that contain CineForm HD video, select Sequence->Settings and then select the General panel. In the QuickTime Video Settings group, change the compressor to CineForm HD. Select the Video Processing panel and change the rendering option to "Render all YUV material in high-precision YUV".

CineForm clips that are placed on the timeline of a sequence that uses CineForm HD as the default compressor can be played without rendering, but effects and transitions will have to be rendered before preview.

If playback seems slow or stutters, try changing the display resolution to 25% or 50% and size the window so the image fits in the display window. You can change the display resolution to "Fit to Window" and vary the size of the display window, but this will be slightly slower. This changes the method that Final Cut Pro uses for playback.

You can use other codecs as the default rendering codec assigned in the sequence settings and still use the CineForm codec for exchanging video with other applications. The advantage to using other codecs that are approved real-time codecs is that effects and transitions can be previewed without rendering. As long as the performance is sufficient, clips can be previewed at full frame rate without rendering if a real-time codecs is used as the default rendering codec assigned in the sequence settings.
Cheers

Nigel
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase