Some questions about Aspect HD - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 4th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #211
Regular Crew

*.mov captures in aspect 5...

I see the mov is an option instead of the cineform avi's. I'm guessing quality is same for capturing with either? using pp2 for my editing (besides the obvious extension difference), any advantages of going mov?

thanks
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #212
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Only if you want to do 10-bit in Combustion, as it only support 8-bit via AVI. Or if you what to put CineForm clips on the Mac. Stick with AVI, then convert to MOV using HDLink for the clips you need in that format.
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #213
Trustee

update process for Aspect 5.0?

How does the update process work from Aspect HD 4 to 5? I am not talking about the pricing....I am inquiring about the activation. Do I need to de-activate Aspect 4 on my system before installing 5? Also, if I have a copy of 4 on my office PC will it be compatible with projects that I take on my laptop with aspect 5? Or do both need to be updated? Also, does 5 still have the luxury of 2 activations like 4 did?

I edit in my office 1/2 the time and then I travel and edit on my laptop the other 1/2 but working on the same project files. The budget does not allow for us to purchase 2 copies of Aspect so AHD4 is doing the trick for now.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #214
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Uninstalling Aspect HD v4 is recommended, but you don't not need to de-activate. Aspect HD v5 allows two installs, just like Aspect HD v4. Aspect HD v5 data is currently backward compatible with v4, but this may not always be the case -- do not confuse , v5 will always load v4 files, but not necessarily the other away around.
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #215
Regular Crew

Allowing 2 installs..?

How is this possible?
My install is locked to a number on my pc.
Gildo Houtekamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #216
Trustee

David has said in the past that it will allow you to activate it 2 times before it requires you to deactivate and install again. I have had Aspect 4 on my workstation and laptop for about a year now. I never use them at the same time. I travel and take my projects with me on a portable hard drive to work on while I am away. This "feature" has saved my butt and I am personally glad that it is there as the budget where I work would not accomodate two copies at this time. I know it's not that much money but when I convince them to spend $649 for an upgrade to Adobe software that includes 6-7 full blown programs, they look at me cross-eyed when they hear Aspect is $499.

They have it in their mind that it is "just" a plug-in and how can it cost 3/4 of what the entire software suite costs?

So again. I am thankful for this little known feature.

Peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo Houtekamer View Post
How is this possible?

My install is locked to a number on my pc.
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #217
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, very glad to hear it!

David, can you confirm please?
Gildo Houtekamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #218
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Confirmed, our licensing server allows for two activations -- however you official only own one, we just add this flexibility to handle range of situations.
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #219
Trustee

Thanks Dave. Hope I wasn't spilling the beans on anything that shouldn't be known. It is good to know that there is some fexibility with these products and they are worth the cost.
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #220
New Boot

Aspect HD problem with After Effects

When using Cineform AVIs in an After Effects 7 Comp the rendered footage will randomly turn black.

The Comp is 720 24P.
I have six layers from 5 differnet Cineform AVI clips with effects applied to them. They all have a Magic Bullet Look Effects applied to them.

It doesn't matter if I render WMVs or Cineform AVIs.
Dustin Kersnowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #221
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have many AE users, so something else must be happening. Your question might be easily answered if you listed your product version, and whether you are using the Video for Windows importer or the CineForm AEIO importer. Please file a friendly ticket at cineform.com/support
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #222
Major Player

WMP playback aspect

I 'm sort of certain I'm not losing it... but anything's possible.

When launch an Aspect HD .AVI for playback in Windows Media Player (version 11), the picture is in a 4:3 aspect.

It seems like in the past, when previewing my Aspect captures, WMP would display in the correct aspect without any changes in its settings?
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #223
CTO, CineForm Inc.

MediaPlayer 11 is a little broken. For some reason it is using the older VFW codec rather than DirectShow on some systems, causing this issue. Try using Media Player Classic (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...r_Classic.htm), it is much nicer than WMP11.
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #224
Regular Crew

Do these black drops happen on discrete clips, or randomly mid-clip? If the former, what other filters are you applying?

If you transcode your CFHD clip to another 720p format and replace it in the comp, do the drops still happen?

Have you tweaked or otherwise attempted to optimize AE's memory management? I've observed that Look Suite can be pretty twitchy in that regard.

Have you checked the render logs? I've seen this happen (particularly when invoking from the command-line) when a particular filter depends on an outboard DLL that, for whatever reason, it can't find at render-time.

All of these can help diagnose what is or isn't happening.
K. Tessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #225
Major Player

"Magic Bullet Look Effects applied to them"
hmmmmmmm have you asked them about your Lic file?
Salah Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase