no presets showing with new CS4/Prospect HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Major Player

no presets showing with new CS4/Prospect HD

I just loaded a new (registered) Prospect HD onto a x64 ws, that previously had a "tryout" Prospect 4K and HD on it.

I unloaded the 4K first, but just "uninstalled" it, as there was no longer anyway to "uninstall" the HD version.

I loaded the new registered Prospect HD on it (normally) and when I brought up CS4, there were no presets.

Something tickles my memory on this, but maybe someone has a faster solution than my memory........

Do I need to kill all previous CF things everywhere first with that CF exe, or is there a less painful way?

Suggestions anyone?
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Armour View Post
I just loaded a new (registered) Prospect HD onto a x64 ws, that previously had a "tryout" Prospect 4K and HD on it.

I unloaded the 4K first, but just "uninstalled" it, as there was no longer anyway to "uninstall" the HD version.

I loaded the new registered Prospect HD on it (normally) and when I brought up CS4, there were no presets.

Something tickles my memory on this, but maybe someone has a faster solution than my memory........

Do I need to kill all previous CF things everywhere first with that CF exe, or is there a less painful way?

Suggestions anyone?
I don't think the current production version of Prospect HD has presets. You will need to load one of the betas http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...d-support.html that came after that to get presets.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

As has been noted in nearly every other thread, no CF presets until the real-time engine is done for CS4, which it isn't yet.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
As has been noted in nearly every other thread, no CF presets until the real-time engine is done for CS4, which it isn't yet.
I knew that Adam, just somehow didn't connect that the download was the "old production" version. Too many other machines to care for and that's our only CS4 doorstop right now. Others are running betas and (thankfully) CS3.

And yes, there are presets...if you load the beta. Duh. It's been a long haul since loading CS4 on that machine last January...
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yeah, I've still got CS4 sitting on the shelf. Now that I've finally got everything working more or less reliably with CS3 and PHD3, I'm trying to figure out if I even want to install all the new SW...
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm just hoping they at least can get a workable solution for CS4 under Win 7, and then we can upgrade the whole mess to CS5 for a "better editor experience". Right now, I'd drop that CS4 back to CS3 in a flash if I could, at least until something breaks on this CS4 whole mess. At least get better workflow from it that way.

AE is nice though, as is the encoder.

Seems like Adobe and Microsoft are synced on these version numbers. Ever since DOS 2.0, it's only the odd number versions that came out good: DOS 3, DOS 5, DOS 6.1 (6.0 sucked), Win 3, Win 3.1, Win 3.11, Win 95, XP (was an oddball), and now Win 7.

Guess that dates me.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Major Player

By putting the following bunch of disconnected facts together, I've come to a conclusion. Windows 7 will be released later this month. There are also credible rumors that Adobe will release Premiere Pro CS4 V4.2 within the same time frame. Finally, we have learned that the PP CS4 RT engine for Prospect HD/4K will also be released some time this month. I conclude that all these items are related and at least the first two pieces of software have been in beta testing for a while now. The PP 4.2 update is supposedly for compatibility with Win 7. I would be shocked if it also provides any additional "exciting" bug fixes or new capabilities. And as long as Adobe is sprucing up PP CS4 for operation under Win 7, it makes perfect sense to hold off the Prospect HD/4K RT engine, until the new OS and the updated version of PP are out.

Then, all we have to worry about is Adobe immediately announcing their intentions to produce CS5 products, preferably with 64 bit options for the whole production suite.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Jay... perish-the-thought that I am going to rain on your optimism, because I've been limping along with CS4 for a couple of months now. There was no downside to moving onto Win7, except for the fact that CS3 didn't mingle well in that company.... or was it ProspectHD 4,.... it's too much to remember at this point.

To your conclusion of a grand unification for us.... based on the past 10 months and statements from Cineform, it seems to me that it is more akin to Adobe marching to its own drummer. By all accounts, their level of cooperation with Cineform was minimal if not hostile. Cineform has been playing catch-up since the release of CS4. There is no evidence that is going to change. When I asked an Adobe rep at a recent trade show about the lack of integration with Cineform, he genuinely had no idea of it, and I question whether he had even heard of Cineform. This from a fairly senior member from Adobe who was well informed on the technical aspects of their products.

Win7 comes along into the mix on its own accord, and while I am not an engineer, I don't grasp how adding another variable to the Adobe/Cineform debacle is going to somehow make things simpler. The fact that Adobe may well be working towards a compatibility with Win7 (which they certainly are), does not imply that they have now created a seat at the table for Cineform.

I believe what we have is a convergence of otherwise unassociated events. I suppose that doesn't rule out some synergistic possibilities for solutions.

I stand by my opinion of the past two months.... if we want off this merry-go-round, we need a Cineform NLE.

Put another way.... what are the chances of Adobe developing an intermediate codec that does what Cineform does...... RIGHT! And even if they did, it would merely be one more thing to crash their program.

On the other hand.... it is not a stretch for my imagination to have a lean, mean NLE... rock solid, based on the Cineform codec. DPS/Leitch followed that model years ago, and their systems were wonderful. They fell by the wayside because there was no longer a need for hardware based systems. Edius and Matrox and Avid have found success. There is no reason to believe that with the brilliant engineering and support that Cineform already has in place, that they couldn't find similar success with their cross-platform approach.

Well... this got a little off target, but the tea leaves are saying that this constant ping ponging of upgrades and compatibility is going to go on forever until we actually do have a unification that is for real.

No disrespect for your theory Jay... in fact, I really hope you are right and I am dead wrong.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Major Player

I pray to the Adobe gods every night that I can finally uninstall CS3.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #10
Major Player

LOL....

I wonder what we have done to anger them so?
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #11
Major Player

I've been running CS4 on Vista 64 then Windows 7 64 quite nicely since April. The only issue I have with CS4 is that the 4.1 update introduced gross latency into the multi-camera window. The only crashes I got were when working with early versions of PHD4. If I worked with M2T or DV, then there were never any issues and things worked very smoothly.

I went from PPro 1.5.1 to CS4, specifically for the multi-camera, and also because AspectHD was discontinued and CFHD would no longer support ProspectHD on Adobe versions earlier than CS3. When I upgraded, CS3 was of course not available, since CS4 had been out a while.

In any case, I know myself, and many others who have posted, as well, haven't had issues with CS4 (aside from Multi-Camera in 4.1, which I can work around to some extent). So I'm curious what scenarios prevent people from moving to CS4, other than the obvious incompatibility problems with Cineform? Complexity of timelines, incompatibility with various hardware, etc.

For the record, moving the Windows 7 RC was a HUGE improvement over Vista 64. But of course that move did not bring with it any CFHD presets in CS4! ;)

ciao,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase