Upside down and red playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Upside down and red playback

Hi, I am getting upside down and red playback with cineform 24p files in PPro 2.0. The CineForm version is 4.02. Also I am running it on Windows 7. Any ideas anyone?
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Windows 7 is doing that. We haven't determined a solution yet.
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Several of us have similarly reported this problem with Premiere CS3 under Win7, but Cineform files do play OK presently in CS4 under Win7
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #4
New Boot

Wow, fast responses! Thanks for the info, I was going to try to install different Cineform versions to see if it made a difference. Now I don't have to ....thanks! Will it let me install the software on my XP partion at the same time it is on the W7 one?
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #5
Trustee

I think you'll find you have to authorize each partition with separate codes - however Cineform will provide codes for two authorizations simultaneously (e.g. for a laptop and desktop) so you should be fine.
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks very much for the info Graham!
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I had this problem before, (Win7 64) but not with current Prospect 4K builds. Previously running the install as Administrator helped. Or installing in Vista compatibility. But, as I say, the problem has gone away for me at the moment.
Ian Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #8
Trustee

Ian what graphics card do you have? I have the problem on one machine with an Nvidia card, and not on one with with an on-board ATi card ... wondering if that means something?

I've tried fiddling with permissions, compatibility and administrator settings but no success as yet.
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I've an Nvidia 9800 GT with 512MB Video RAM
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Until we figure this one out, if you want to use CineForm in CS3, you'll need to have Scroll Lock ON when playing back the timeline. Unfortunately, you'll lose some of the real-time features, but it at least makes it watchable in the interim.

We're getting some Windows 7 development machines up and running here now, so we'll see what we can come up with.
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Red Playback Returns

Interesting one. I'm just setting up my release version of Win7 Home Premium (64 bit) and find that I'm getting upside down red playback in Prem Pro CS3 again. In my still available win7 64 RC installation it's all working fine. Dual-boot on the same machine. Same version drivers throughout (I think). I'm slowly trying to work through what the differences might be. It might come down to something silly like the order you install things in. First Light works nicely (with the registry fix).
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #12
Trustee

Wow - that's frustrating for sure! If you do solve the puzzle ... you will be a hero!
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Fixed, though not really solved

I had a thought (happens occasionally), and I uninstalled Prospect 4k (again) and installed ProspectHD 3.4 (the last version, which I kept from before I upgraded). That worked OK. Hooray. Right way up and right colours...

So I tried an earlier version of Prospect 4K from August. I don't know whether that was necessary or not, but that worked, too. Hooray again. So I took a deep breath and uninstalled it and then reinstalled the latest official Prospect 4K 4.1, and this time, that worked, too. So it looks as if ProspectHD 3 did something to line up the entrails correctly.

What does it all mean? Not sure. But I'm personally back in business with my new Win 7 install. And it might be a help or an aid to diagnosis for anyone else with the upside down red problem.

I was contemplating doing a total removal of Cineform including deleting registry keys, but in the end all I did was the usual uninstall/reinstall.

EDIT: might be worth saying - in case it helps Cineform's troubleshooting - that this time when it was running upside down it was also dropping frames, or rather, repeatedly playing 3 or 4 secs and hanging for half a sec. I thought it was because I hadn't set up scratch disks properly, but now the problem is cleared, it plays fine, too. However, when this happened to me before, I don't remember that behaviour.

In Prem Pro 3, Win7 64 (release) Home Premium.

Last edited by Ian Lewis; October 29th, 2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: PS - another symptom
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Major Player

Nothing to add except I really like the term "entrails" when it comes to computer troubleshooting!
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase