3D Cineform + FCP + Kona 3 + Sony 5800 = error at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 1st, 2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

3D Cineform + FCP + Kona 3 + Sony 5800 = error

Hi Everyone,

My client has a 3D Cineform time line in Final Cut pro, and is trying to output the time line over a Kona 3 card to a Sony 5800 deck (latest version).

When they begin the edit to tape process everything starts ok, but a short time later frames are dropped and this error appears.

"Because one or more frames were dropped during Edit to tape or print to video, this operation was aborted."

Any ideas why the system is dropping frames or a solution to this issue?

Thanks,

-John
John Reeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 04:54 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If these are the same Mac's mentioned in the last post, they may be somewhat underpowered.

Requirements form the website (both 8-core systems:)
Min: Core 2 Quad 3GHz
Preferred: Core i7 or Dual Nehalem

If you source is SI-2K, they require additional computation on decode. It might be get to export you timeline as Left and Right eyes, mux those together into a new 3D clip and play that out to your deck (as that will use less CPU.)
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi David,

Yes, these are the same Mac's as yesterday, and the files are coming from an SI3D system. We will try exporting the time line as independent Left and Right and then remuxing. Will that take us out of 12bit 444 (as captured in the SI3D) and bring us into 10bit 422? Is that where the CPU work is being done?

If I upgrade to a Core i7 cpu will that give me the CPU power needed to playback CineformRAW Uncompressed and FS2?

Thanks for the tips.

-John
John Reeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

SI-2K and any RAW camera (Red, Alexa, etc) are not 444, they are CFA Bayer which is an undeveloped color-space. The development required is call demosaicing, it is compute intensive. As you export deck is only 10-bit 4:2:2 per eye, you should render to that, that way there no extra processing to convert CFA BAyer to 4:2:2 on the fly.

Two i7s in an 8 core MacPro is recommended.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the Clarification about the processing demands David, and the specifics about the CPU requirements.
John Reeve is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase