HDlink and CF output use only one core? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 25th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: HDlink and CF output use only one core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
@Stephen,

I PMed you with the links, as I didn't want this thread to go too far off topic. :-)
Got them, thanks Jay. Didn't have any time to download or check them out yesterday, as I was really busy.

Today I'll see if I can get things to work right.
Old March 29th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: HDlink and CF output use only one core?

After researching this a bit further in my spare time, I've come to the conclusion that it is going to be very difficult to figure out why you can't "pin" all the threads/cores to 100% when encoding with any A/V software under Win 7.

My "experiment" with MJPEG & GraphEdit really showed nothing, since a) GraphEdit is so old and may not take advantage of multiple cores and hyperthreading. Besides, the built-in Win 7 Microsoft Media Foundation and DMO (DirectShow) codecs may not be efficiently multithreaded, because why do they have to be? Not much uses them presently, except software allied with the OS directly, such as Windows Media Player (for example PPro CS5 and Sony Vegas both come with built-in codecs for most formats). And WMP only displays video. It doesn't encode it, so the limiting factors are the frame size (mostly < 1920x1080) and frame rate (mostly < 30 fps at HD resolutions). In these cases the displayed frame rate is probably the "bottleneck". It's not like we're dealing with a video game, which might display at some high frame rate, if the computer is lightning fast.

Let me know if you come up with anything else of interest on this.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase