Canon 60D and Neoscene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 30th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon 60D and Neoscene

Hi,
Sorry for (sort of) double-posting, but as my issue is also CineForm related, I'm hoping to get some help.
I've described my situation, along with some examples, in this thread in the Vegas forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...t-vp-11-a.html

In short, when I bring a native .mov taken from a Canon 60D into the Vegas timeline, I'm seeing different colors than when I re-encode the .mov with NeoScene.

I'm on win7x64, Vegas Pro 11.595, NeoScene 562

I've identified the problem to be a rec601<->rec709 color shift, but I'm not sure if it's Vegas getting it wrong, if it's CF, or maybe some issues with QuickTime or DirectShow codecs....

If David Newman from CF is around, I would really like to know : Does NeoScene rely on any external decoders when re encoding .mov from a Canon DSLR?

If I can rely 100% on Neoscene getting the colors right, then at least I can be sure that Vegas is getting it wrong. (I would still have to figure out if it's a bug in Vegas or an error on my system).

Many thanks in advance
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon 60D and Neoscene

Ok, forget about my Vegas issues and the other thread. Here's a simplified question:

1. Running NeoScene 562 on win7x64. I'm converting Canon 60D mov files to CineForm avi files through HDLink. Do the QuickTime\DirectShow\VfW components installed on my system affect the conversion in any way?

2. Bellow are 2 snapshots of a CineForm avi converted from a Canon 60D mov, processed through AviSynth. Which one of the two accurately represents the correct colors?

Is there a chance to get some feedback on this thread, or should I submit a support ticket?
Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon 60D and Neoscene-60d_cf_rgb-pc601-_text.jpg   Canon 60D and Neoscene-60d_cf_rgb-pc709-_text.jpg  

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:49 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I believe all Canon DSLRs are full range Rec601 (other than the new Canon 5D MkIII which is full range Rec709.) HDLink and CineForm Studio knows about this Canon oddity and will convert 601 full range into 709 broadcast range -- this brings Canon footage in compliance with all other HD cameras. So your test is not about Canon source, but about the CineForm output, which means the image on the right is correct (unless Canon has changed the 60D to 709 -- I can tell my looking at the MOV header, just need a small file.)
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

David, thank you very much for responding.
I've attached a small 60D clip, it would be nice if you can confirm that the 60D does indeed use full-range 601.

In any case, I can confirm that a CineForm avi created with HDLink, with a ConvertToRGB(matrix="Rec709") filter in Avisynth matches *exactly* the colors and levels I'm seeing in Canon's ZoomBrowser.
It also matches *exactly* the original 60D mov with a ConvertToRGB(matrix="PC.601") filter in Avisynth.
Does that make sense?
If so I guess I can rely on that being the correct interpretation of the original.
Attached Files
File Type: mov MVI_6339.MOV (20.94 MB, 267 views)
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

While you effectively confirmed the 601 nature of the source, I also checked your 60D clip, and it is 601.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Major Player

David, once again thanks for your help, it has been invaluable.

Unfortunately, this confirms that - at least on my system - Vegas Pro 11 is incorrectly treating the native 60D mov as 709.
If I want to import a 60D mov into Vegas, and then correctly export to CineForm, I have to manually add a 601->709 correction, plus a Computer->Studio RGB correction.

I guess it's time to open a support ticket with Sony.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase