Aspect HD 3.4 now available for download at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 10th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #1
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD 3.4 now available for download

Yes another free upgrade for Aspect HD users. The biggest new feature is Canon XL H1 24F/30F support. It seems again that we will have an exclusive on this for some time based on the competitor's slow rate of support for JVC 24p (added to Aspect HD 3.3 released 4 months ago.) Here is the list of new features (cut from the CineForm web page.)

Codec:
- quality enhancements that triggered the recently published quality analysis performed using Connect HD in Sony Vegas have all been rolled into Aspect HD v3.4. Details here : http://www.cineform.com/technology/H...ysis051011.htm
- upon uninstallation of Aspect HD, our decoder components (optionally) remain installed and active, allowing easy (and free) multiple-machine decoder installs.

Capture related:
- Batch capture with timecode supported for XL H1 and HD100U
- Batch capture now supports non-zero start timecodes
- Timecode extraction from HD100U streams now supported

Export-to-tape related:
- HD100U: both 24p and 25p exports now supported
- XL H1: 1080i and 1080p24 (pulldown added) exports
- Sony's HDR-HC1 and HVR-A1: now supported

24p modes:
- XL H1: Capture with pulldown removal yields 1080p24 progressive CineForm Intermediate files for pure 24p editing workflows
- HD100U: 24p capture already supported in Aspect HD v3.3 release
- 24p presets and editing modes supported for both the XL H1 and HD100U

25p preset added for HD100U

Standard definition 4:3 export now supported from 16:9 timeline (center crop) for DVD

For more information please visit : http://www.cineform.com/products/AspectHDPPro.htm
Old December 10th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #2
Major Player

David, how does the timing of features between aspect and prospect work?
So, when aspect is updated, does prospect get updated at the same time?
If so, how does on hear about the updates?

Thanks

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

David,

Thanks for the post. I see my camera has been added - the Sony HDR-HC1. I'll be ordering Aspect HD just as soon as my final piece comes in for the computer I'm building. I saw in another area you mentioned that the Adobe Video bundle can include Aspect HD for the price of the bundle alone - where can I get that bundle?

Thanks,

Joe Clark
Joseph Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I just installed 3.4 (registered version) and see the version 3.4 on the splash screen when I start Premiere Pro. But when I open an existing file and click on the "Effects" tab, I get a message to the effect of: "Sorry, Premiere Pro has encountered a serious error and will try to save the project file", and then PP exits. I've tried creating a brand new project and have the exact same thing happen. When I return to the project later and again click on "Effects", the same results occur.

So it seems that I'm unable to use the upgrade! Unless you have some advice, I'm planning to reinstall Aspect HD completely and return to version 3.3... and soon!
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Patricia, as the effects tab is a Premiere feature, not an Aspect HD feature, so it seems that Premiere might be needing a re-installed. I would un-install both Aspect HD 3.4 and Premiere Pro, then re-install Premiere Pro 1.5 (and 1.5.1 patch) and then install AHD 3.4. I have confirmed that Aspect HD is not causing any issue with the effects tab. One other thing to try is holding down the shift key while Premiere starts-up, this force Premiere to reloaded all plug-ins (the Premiere plug-in cache can sometimes (rare) be corrupted -- a re-installl will also fix that.)
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
David, how does the timing of features between aspect and prospect work?
Prospect HD and Connect HD will go through updates soon, mainly adding Canon XL H1 24F support. However, Prospect HD has some additional cool new features coming. Come back to cineform.com to look for update annoucements. I will likely announce on this forum also.
Old December 11th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Joseph,

Aspect HD + Adobe Video Collection costs only the price of the full Adobe bundle, yes this is a great deal (that suprisingly few opt for.) Click on the "Buy Now!" button, and the new page will have this bundle as the 4th item listed.
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

A new feature we forgot to add to the list: CineForm HD AVI exports are now threaded for even faster renders on dual processor or dual core PCs.
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Please, de-couple "Split scenes" for M2Ts and AVIs

I posted this as a wish a few versions ago. And you at Cineform answered that it was a sound suggestion.

To day you have only one choice, if you want do to it one pass: either you split AVIs AND M2Ts or NONE of them. Very often what makes sense is to capture the M2Ts as a whole And Split scenes for the CFHD AVIs only. Much easier to work with, much easier to archive, etc...

This would require FOUR lines of code at most and ONE extra control in the preferences panel. Please, do it !!!

Thanks.
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I guess not many asked for that feature. We have a lot of feature requests in the queue, it is hard to prioritize small features over camera support (which we have been working flat-out on.) Most users don't keep the M2T data around, as for a back the original tape works for that. As for four lines of code, that is funny, I'm glad coding is not that simple, otherwise I might be out a job. :)
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #11
Regular Crew

David, thanks for your response to my difficulties with the 3.4 installation. After reinstalling several things I finally figured out (many hours later) that I had a harddisk that was going bad. New disk, OS reinstall, and now everything (including 3.4) works fine. Thanks again...
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote: "upon uninstallation of Aspect HD, our decoder components (optionally) remain installed and active..."
--------------------------------

David, prompted by the above comment, and looking to the future, I have a general question: What are the quality implications of using a different-version encoder and decoder?

For example, if one were to edit footage encoded with version 3.4 on a different computer that had, say, only the version 3.2 decoder?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That installer message is mainly for Aspect HD trial users who do not purchase but it have CineForm clips they may want to use. It is also an easy way to put the CineForm decoder on other PCs in you work-flow. Generally you want to keep your decoders up to date as a new encoder change could be incompatible with an older decoder. This is not the case with any of the recent updates but it has happened before. The v3.4 of Aspect HD does have more quality improvements but they are backwards compatible with recent older decoders.

David Newman
CTO, CineForm
Old December 13th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #14
Trustee

Thanks - good to know!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase