Audio Drop Outs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 20th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Drop Outs?

I have just exported thru HDLinK an .m2t File created via the Export>Movie command in P/Pro. When playing back the finished project from the recorded tape, I noticed some very short audio drop outs. Suspecting that they might be tape related drop outs, I recorded another pass to the same tape, at a different location from the first... and again some audio drop outs occured, at or near the same locations on the program. I recorded two more passes with the same result. My Time Line audio sounds fine, no glitches, Etc.
Anyone have these same kinds of difficulties? Might I be missing something with the Audio Set Up within the Export Command? What do I do????
Thanks,
Gary
Gary Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

When you play the m2t file does it have this fault?
Old March 21st, 2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

David,
When I listen to the camera audio during capture, I here the drop outs. When playing back the Tape in the camera after it has recorded, I also here the drop outs. I tried to load the m2t file from the drive into P/Pro and I get the indication that the "file will not play, it is damaged". I might perhaps be doing something wrong with playing the file. In the original m2t File creation, I used a 1 Frame audio Interleave as the audio compressor option. Might I try another setting, like 1 Sec. perhaps?
Thanks, Gary
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:05 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Play the M2T file with VLC or another MPEG player.
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

OK David...
But pardon my ignorance. What is VLC? and whare might I find It? My edit system is not hooked up to the internet... I have had many problems with our connection and do not trust it with the Edit PC.
Thanks,
Gary
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:23 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is a free MPEG player that works with M2T. Type VLC into google -- it is the first entry.
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

David,
I Downloaded the VLC software as you suggested and played the .m2t File. There were NO audio drop-outs!!! And the video looked GREAT... Does this mean that I am suffering from Tape Drop Outs, or something else? The video seemed to be clean, with no visible drop outs. I guess that I should open up a new Tape and try it again??? The previous tape that I recorded to was also new, from the same JVC ProHD batch. I pre striped it before recording. It only had that single record pass.
Thanks again for your help,
Gary
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:39 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Now that we have ruled out the source M2t file (which is good), I guess try again, it should be working fine.

P.S. Don't do anything else on your PC whlie exporting the M2T to the camera, just in case.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

To All and David,

Tried it again. Still the same audio drop outs. Tried different Firewire Port, New Tape, and still Audio drop outs????? What to Do...
Thanks,
Gary
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:48 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You will need to work with support as there is so much I don't know about your setup.
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks David. I will try to contact Cineform Support for assistance with this strange situation. I created a test DVD from an AVI file from the same timeline source proj. as the m2t file came from and the audio is fine, no dropouts whatsoever.
I think that I have a bug in my system, as I have had many strange things happen since finishing an edit. Such as Unable to open, file damaged dialogue box open when I just was working on the proj, to mysterious audio tracks not playing, except when I unlock the tracks (audio plays but Video disapears when in play, but is visible at stop and in scrub mode. In the middle of one viewing session, not even editing, P/Pro had to shut down. I had been running AVG Virus Protection, and have since learned that this is a NO NO with Cineform. I Uninstalled it, with a continuation of the same strange things happening. Every time I turn the computer on it is something new...
My plan is to try to complete the proj that I am finishing up on, create some good DVD's, hopefully be able to Record back to tape w/o audio problems and have some kind of archive of the project!!! I will then Defrag/Restore the C Drive, hopefully my media files and project files on my D Drive will survive.
Sorry about my wowes Dr, David, but what Anti Virus is compatable with the P/Pro-Cineform combination?

Thanks again,

Gary
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I use AVAST for my anti virus on my home Aspect HD system (free for non-commercial use.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase