nano3D - New Feature - Anaglyph at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 18th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Inner Circle

nano3D - New Feature - Anaglyph

Dear Friends,

We have recently developed Anaglyph support for our nano3D.

This will be in our next nano3D firmware release.

This allows one, on-set, to use a non-3D monintor for viewing the 3D image.

One just needs a regular monitor and a pair of low cost Red / Cyan glasses to view the 3D.

This feature was requested by some of our nano3D users.
Old September 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks, Dan.

This is a very useful feature for run-n-gun shooting where a 3D monitor is impractical.

Some directors MUST see 3D so this addresses an important need.

Along the same lines...can you possibly just spit out the L&R superimposed? Not as an anaglyph. Simply superimposed? The very expensive 3D systems in the wild have this built-in to help better align the cameras.

Carrying this further, can ONE image be a negative, superimposed on the other positive? This produces a composite that is even easier to see camera alignment and parallax (again, featured in the big box systems).

(edit) By the way, the best small-form 3D monitor is the Transvideo 3D. Costs about $8,500 to view an anaglpyh. By adding the anaglyph viewing to the N3D, you've eliminated a costly accessory to 3D filming.

Keep swingin' - you're hittin' them outta the park.

Last edited by Daniel Symmes; September 18th, 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Daniel Symmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

We respect your extensive 3D experience and your professional opinions as to what should be included in nano3D.

We have discussed, internally, an innovative way to help align the 3D rig. It is a feature that I really like and one that I think will really help, but I am not prepared to discuss it publicly right now.

Our plan is to implement it, then see if it works as we think it will, then we will present it.

I like both of your ideas and I will discuss them with our engineers soon.
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dan -

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm almost giddy at the continued evolution of the N3D.

Looking forward to testing out the anaglyph feature on a program I'll be shooting at the end of the month.
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Symmes View Post
Along the same lines...can you possibly just spit out the L&R superimposed? Not as an anaglyph. Simply superimposed? The very expensive 3D systems in the wild have this built-in to help better align the cameras.

Carrying this further, can ONE image be a negative, superimposed on the other positive? This produces a composite that is even easier to see camera alignment and parallax (again, featured in the big box systems).
Hi Daniel-
Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. Will the Line-by-line mode accomplish the desired results for a superimposed image - assuming you are working with the 3D monitor? In our tests this seems to work well as an alignment tool.

Of course, I assume you really want to superimpose the two images onto a regular 2D monitor, so you won't need to lug along an expensive (and/or large) 3D monitor. After shooting the nano3D product video, I can certainly understand the need for this feature.

I'll discuss with engineering on Monday, no promises, but we'll try.

Best-
Mike
Mike Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Mike -

I'm referring to a monitor at the camera (usually on the camera rig). As an operator, I can quickly see alignment. I do not need/want to see 3D at that time. Not necessary for me. Parallax is everything.

The costly Transvideo 3D monitor is good...but your anaglyph setting allows the use of most any HD monitor. I was eyeing that monitor for my 'kit.' You've saved me about $8,500.

Six stars out of 5 for you guys.
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

a small request... anaglyph B/W better to use it for camera setup, better to see depth on set.
less color, more depth quality
Carlo Macchiavello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Carlo and Dan,

Dan Symmes also requested the same feature.

We are actively considering the request. We definitely think your request has merit.

We are trying to finish a nano3D release.
We want to finish this release without delaying it by adding more featues at this time.
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Guys, I've posted a description and a couple of pics of my 3D monitor setup at the 3D forum on DVInfo.net here;

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stere...d-monitor.html

Anaglyph is OK if you have no other options, but it hurts my eyes and dulls the back of my brain - so I prefer full color monitoring. BTW, both my mirror rig and Pany 3DA1 are recording to dual Nano units. I'm not sure why I haven't upgraded the Nano's to 3D yet - probably waiting for a holiday sale price . . .
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Just to clarify, I prefer the anaglyph (specifically B&W) for on-set camera alignment because it make the job easier. I do NOT use it for actual 3D viewing. Thus, no brain-dulling. It's a simple solution I've used in other forms over a lot of years.

But this feature IS practical for 3D viewing when one can't afford other solutions or there's an issue of taking too much equipment on location, cables, etc. Using an existing 2-D monitor of any size is a very good feature.

I'm currently on a major 3D feature in China and, while awaiting the POSSIBLE B&W anaglyph feature from CD, am using the Transvideo 15" 3D monitor (which otherwise sucks) and it's nearly indispensable working with these alignment-challenged 3D rigs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey