DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   nanoFlash FAQs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/145264-nanoflash-faqs.html)

Mike Schell March 6th, 2009 03:09 PM

nanoFlash FAQs

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the latest and greatest FAQ info on the nanoFlash. Everything you wanted to know, plus a few extra tidbits of info. However, please feel free to post any questions we may have forgotten.

Best-

Tim Polster March 6th, 2009 03:30 PM

Thanks Mike.

Looks like a great unit!

Bill Koehler March 9th, 2009 01:17 PM

And combined with these will give SxS real competition.

Pretec unveils 666x Compact Flash Cards: Digital Photography Review

Tyge Floyd March 19th, 2009 10:07 PM

Mike,
Great FAQ document. It answered a few questions I have about the nanoFlash.

I do have one or two others though...
How is the optional Sony battery adapter and the Sony NP-QM71D battery to be used? Is the adapter mounted onto the nanoFlash in some fashion? If so, where?

I'm desperately trying to figure out how I would power one of these units. My plan is to use the nanoFlash on a new JVC HM700/AB power setup. Is powering the nano via a powertap from the AB battery while at the same time the battery is powering the camera possible?

Dan Keaton March 20th, 2009 06:24 AM

Dear Tyge,

The nanoFlash's power input is a Hirose 4-Pin connector.

We will be building a Anton Bauer D-Tap to Hirose 4-Pin cable specifically for this purpose. We will build them in custom lengths for various situations.

Also, we will have other power cable options available.

The Sony battery will mount on the top of the nanoFlash.

If a camera has a power tap (power outlet), then we will probably build a cable so you can power the nanoFlash from the camera.

James Venturi March 21st, 2009 07:41 AM

Nanoflash and EX1

Any thoughts on the best way to use a Nano with the EX1--in terms of mounting and powering the device? Still looking good for end of May?

Dan Keaton March 21st, 2009 09:02 AM

Dear James,

Next week we are expecting our first circuit boards. These will then have to be populated with the circuit parts, then we will test the initial boards.

The cases and keypads are being manufactured.

These will make up our initial engineering test units.

We still expect to meet our "Late May" deadline for initial, limited deliveries of the nanoFlash.

We will know more after we get our initial engineering prototypes. We have time built into our schedule in case our initial circuits need adjusting.

Piotr Wozniacki March 21st, 2009 09:15 AM

Dan & Mike,

I understand it's not viable that the alternative battery option for the NanoFlash be available to accommodate the BP-U30 battery that almost all EX1/3 users have as a spare one, as most of us use the larger U60 ones to power up the cameras; am I right?

If it's still possible, it'd save us yet another charger should we choose this way of powering the NanoFlash...

Dan Keaton March 21st, 2009 10:43 AM

Dear James and Piotr,

James, I am sorry that I neglected to answer one part of your question.

We intend to support an option that will allow your existing Sony EX1/EX3 batteries to power the nanoFlash.

We intend to have a place to mount these batteries on the top of the nanoFlash and then power the nanoFlash with this battery. Please note that a separate battery, in this scenario, must be used to power your camera.

We are also aware of a special battery that fits the Sony EX1/EX3 that has a power tap. We wil investigate using that battery to power the nanoFlash.

At this time, I do not know how long the U30 battery will power the nanoFlash, but here are some power consumption figures.

We believe, at this time, that the Sony EX1/EX3 use about 12.5 watts of power.

The nanoFlash is expected to draw 7 watts.

Adam Letch March 22nd, 2009 05:57 PM

just a thought

but what if you were to develp something like the firestore units battery, low profile lithium that you can at least get 1 to 2 hours out of, and you can also run the unit of the camera mounted battery which also recharges the lithium?

This would make camera mounting less of a awkward option? I know it's more cost and development but would help negate some of multitude of mounting issues with different types of batteries etc.

James Venturi March 23rd, 2009 02:39 AM

the most viable option

The most viable option may be to mount the unit on the top of the camera like the Sony hdd recording unit is--especially if there is a battery need.

It may be better to buy the unit that provides a power connection from the ex1 battery while powering the camera and connect that to the nano.

Mike Schell March 23rd, 2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Venturi (Post 1031890)
The most viable option may be to mount the unit on the top of the camera like the Sony hdd recording unit is--especially if there is a battery need.

It may be better to buy the unit that provides a power connection from the ex1 battery while powering the camera and connect that to the nano.

Hi James-
This is exactly our target location for the nanoFlash, mounted in the cold shoe of the EX3. We are developing the shoe adapter now and should have available by NAB.

We are also working on an optional mounting plate for the BP-U30 battery, which goes on the top of the nanoFlash. Naturally, you can also run a simple power cable for our 4-pin Hirose connector to the D-Tap off any battery.

We had looked at the possibility of an internal battery, but set aside any plans due to time-to-market concerns (we don't want to delay the delivery date).

Best-

Chris Stevens March 24th, 2009 04:16 AM

Mike - Don't forget the Anton Bauer QR EX3 plate. It's ideal!

Mike Schell March 24th, 2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Stevens (Post 1032477)
Mike - Don't forget the Anton Bauer QR EX3 plate. It's ideal!

Hi Chris-
Agreed and the QR EX3 setup has a built-in power-tap which makes it simple to connect to the nanoFlash power input.

Piotr Wozniacki March 24th, 2009 10:59 AM

Hi Mike !

As you may remember, my planned way of powering the NanoFlash has been from the same BP60 battery as my EX1, through the Bebob Coco-EX adapter. For run&gun use, the capability of using the smaller BP30 directly on the unit is also welcome.

On the other hand, with my fully-blown setup with lights etc, and on the tripod - I'd like to be able to also power NanoFlash from my brick battery, which unfortunately is PAG - not-so-popular on your side of the pond. I'm mounting the PAG batteries to my rig using PAGlock adapters, which have two power outs accepting a plug of the "PP90" type (not D-tap or XLR). Is this type of plug used in the US, and will you be able to provide me with a PP90-to-Hirose cable?