nanoFlash FAQs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Convergent Design

nanoFlash FAQs

Here's the latest and greatest FAQ info on the nanoFlash. Everything you wanted to know, plus a few extra tidbits of info. However, please feel free to post any questions we may have forgotten.

Best-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nanoFlash FAQs.pdf (162.5 KB, 2253 views)
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike.

Looks like a great unit!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Major Player

And combined with these will give SxS real competition.

Pretec unveils 666x Compact Flash Cards: Digital Photography Review
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike,
Great FAQ document. It answered a few questions I have about the nanoFlash.

I do have one or two others though...
How is the optional Sony battery adapter and the Sony NP-QM71D battery to be used? Is the adapter mounted onto the nanoFlash in some fashion? If so, where?

I'm desperately trying to figure out how I would power one of these units. My plan is to use the nanoFlash on a new JVC HM700/AB power setup. Is powering the nano via a powertap from the AB battery while at the same time the battery is powering the camera possible?
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Tyge,

The nanoFlash's power input is a Hirose 4-Pin connector.

We will be building a Anton Bauer D-Tap to Hirose 4-Pin cable specifically for this purpose. We will build them in custom lengths for various situations.

Also, we will have other power cable options available.

The Sony battery will mount on the top of the nanoFlash.

If a camera has a power tap (power outlet), then we will probably build a cable so you can power the nanoFlash from the camera.
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Nanoflash and EX1

Any thoughts on the best way to use a Nano with the EX1--in terms of mounting and powering the device? Still looking good for end of May?
James Venturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear James,

Next week we are expecting our first circuit boards. These will then have to be populated with the circuit parts, then we will test the initial boards.

The cases and keypads are being manufactured.

These will make up our initial engineering test units.

We still expect to meet our "Late May" deadline for initial, limited deliveries of the nanoFlash.

We will know more after we get our initial engineering prototypes. We have time built into our schedule in case our initial circuits need adjusting.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dan & Mike,

I understand it's not viable that the alternative battery option for the NanoFlash be available to accommodate the BP-U30 battery that almost all EX1/3 users have as a spare one, as most of us use the larger U60 ones to power up the cameras; am I right?

If it's still possible, it'd save us yet another charger should we choose this way of powering the NanoFlash...
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear James and Piotr,

James, I am sorry that I neglected to answer one part of your question.

We intend to support an option that will allow your existing Sony EX1/EX3 batteries to power the nanoFlash.

We intend to have a place to mount these batteries on the top of the nanoFlash and then power the nanoFlash with this battery. Please note that a separate battery, in this scenario, must be used to power your camera.

We are also aware of a special battery that fits the Sony EX1/EX3 that has a power tap. We wil investigate using that battery to power the nanoFlash.

At this time, I do not know how long the U30 battery will power the nanoFlash, but here are some power consumption figures.

We believe, at this time, that the Sony EX1/EX3 use about 12.5 watts of power.

The nanoFlash is expected to draw 7 watts.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM   #10
Major Player

just a thought

but what if you were to develp something like the firestore units battery, low profile lithium that you can at least get 1 to 2 hours out of, and you can also run the unit of the camera mounted battery which also recharges the lithium?

This would make camera mounting less of a awkward option? I know it's more cost and development but would help negate some of multitude of mounting issues with different types of batteries etc.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:39 AM   #11
Regular Crew

the most viable option

The most viable option may be to mount the unit on the top of the camera like the Sony hdd recording unit is--especially if there is a battery need.

It may be better to buy the unit that provides a power connection from the ex1 battery while powering the camera and connect that to the nano.
James Venturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #12
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Venturi View Post
The most viable option may be to mount the unit on the top of the camera like the Sony hdd recording unit is--especially if there is a battery need.

It may be better to buy the unit that provides a power connection from the ex1 battery while powering the camera and connect that to the nano.
Hi James-
This is exactly our target location for the nanoFlash, mounted in the cold shoe of the EX3. We are developing the shoe adapter now and should have available by NAB.

We are also working on an optional mounting plate for the BP-U30 battery, which goes on the top of the nanoFlash. Naturally, you can also run a simple power cable for our 4-pin Hirose connector to the D-Tap off any battery.

We had looked at the possibility of an internal battery, but set aside any plans due to time-to-market concerns (we don't want to delay the delivery date).

Best-
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Mike - Don't forget the Anton Bauer QR EX3 plate. It's ideal!
Chris Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #14
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stevens View Post
Mike - Don't forget the Anton Bauer QR EX3 plate. It's ideal!
Hi Chris-
Agreed and the QR EX3 setup has a built-in power-tap which makes it simple to connect to the nanoFlash power input.
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Mike !

As you may remember, my planned way of powering the NanoFlash has been from the same BP60 battery as my EX1, through the Bebob Coco-EX adapter. For run&gun use, the capability of using the smaller BP30 directly on the unit is also welcome.

On the other hand, with my fully-blown setup with lights etc, and on the tripod - I'd like to be able to also power NanoFlash from my brick battery, which unfortunately is PAG - not-so-popular on your side of the pond. I'm mounting the PAG batteries to my rig using PAGlock adapters, which have two power outs accepting a plug of the "PP90" type (not D-tap or XLR). Is this type of plug used in the US, and will you be able to provide me with a PP90-to-Hirose cable?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey