Editing QT files 1080 25p 100 Mbs – advice please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Editing QT files 1080 25p 100 Mbs – advice please

Hi all,

I have been using the Flash XDR with the EX3 for quite a while but only recently got a decent macbook pro and FCP.

Can anyone please let me know what should be the settings in FCP and what is the workflow for editing these files? Nothing fancy – just the very basic editing.

I tried to play a few QT files I got today and a few don’t play properly – as if they are stuck. Some others play fine.

Thanks,

Ofer Levy Photography

Last edited by Ofer Levy; June 23rd, 2009 at 05:10 AM.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Ofer,

I would love to help, but I am not an expert in Final Cut Pro.

I would not know how to get you started with Final Cut Pro, sorry.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
New Boot

Using FCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer Levy View Post
Can anyone please let me know what should be the settings in FCP and what is the workflow for editing these files? Nothing fancy – just the very basic editing.
There are many FCP users groups all over the world. Join one, and you'll get all the help you need.
John Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Dan, I had another look at the clips and it seems to me that the few that won't playback properly are actually corrupted. They playback fine half way and then they jam. When I try to drop it on the timeline I get solid green screen where the corrapted part is.
Any idea as to what could cause this?

Thanks John but I was hoping to get advice from a Flash XDR user.

Cheers,
Ofer
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Ofer,

Would you like to send them to us? We will be happy to analyze them.

If so, I will have Tommy set it up for you to send them to our server.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Ofer,

I have sent you a personal email to put you in touch with Tommy, in our support department.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Major Player

Are you sure that the files might be too large for the hard drive's capacity for playback?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
Are you sure that the files might be too large for the hard drive's capacity for playback?
Thanks David, I got the latest Macbook pro and other clips which are way bigger playback with no problems.

Cheers,
Ofer
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:05 PM   #9
New Boot

Hi Ofer,

First off, try playing your files in Quicktime. If there's a problem with them, they won't play correctly. If they're okay, then they'll play properly. Then you can move on to Final Cut.

As for your FCP question, if you drop a file into a new sequence, FCP will prompt you to let it set the correct sequence settings that match that file. After that, you'll be set to add more clips. If they're of the same file format as the sequence, you won't have to render them for playback.

Hope that helps.
John Fante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fante View Post
Hi Ofer,

First off, try playing your files in Quicktime. If there's a problem with them, they won't play correctly. If they're okay, then they'll play properly. Then you can move on to Final Cut.

As for your FCP question, if you drop a file into a new sequence, FCP will prompt you to let it set the correct sequence settings that match that file. After that, you'll be set to add more clips. If they're of the same file format as the sequence, you won't have to render them for playback.

Hope that helps.
Thanks John, I have tried to play them in Quicktime and unfortunatly they are not playing properly.

Thanks again,
Ofer Levy Photography
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Ofer, has this problem been rectified now?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Ofer, has this problem been rectified now?
Steve
Hi Steve, CD are very helpful and really go out of their way to help. Looks like there are two reasonable explanations to my problems - 1. Faulty 4-pin XLR connector that connects the camera with the battery. The second is that I use the cards that are no longer recommended by CD - the Transcend 32GB 133x. I have ordered the new recommended cards and CD will send me a replacement connector so I am very optimistic.
Cheers mate,
Ofer
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Good to hear. I'm looking into the possibility of putting a Nano onto my PDW700, as to get slomo from thr XDCam 720 is a bit of a pain. With the Nano it should be a lot easier as well as being able to go to 220 mb/s I-Frame.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Ofer,

Thanks for Posting.

Dear Steve,

To elaborate on Ofer's post:

In private emails with Ofer we found the following:

1. Two screws holding the 4-Pin XLR input power connector were missing.
(But, this did not seem to cause any problem, but the screws are definitely desirable.)

This appears to be a problem that occurred when we built Ofer's Flash XDR.

2. The 4-Pin XLR connector that mated to Ofer's Flash XDR did not seat securely.

Ofer found that if he put slight pressure on the side of the connector, the Flash XDR would power down.

This was not a connector that we provided, but we are replacing it for free for Ofer. Ofer uses an Anton Bauer Elipz battery, and he sourced an Elipz to 4-Pin XLR cable locally.

Frankly, I am surprised that the two connectors do not mate properly, but this is actually the case. We use Neutrik connectors on both ends, and never had this problem.

Ofer placed some Teflon tape on the connector and it solved this problem. But, we are replacing this connector for Ofer.

3. Ofer had some corrupted files. He has placed the files on a DVD and has sent them to us for analysis and recovery.

We set it up so he could FTP us the files, but we could not get he FTP link to work for him. The connection would time-out. Ofer is in Australia.

4. Ofer was using Transcend 133x 32 GB cards. These work with all of our modes and bit-rates up to 140 Mbps.

But, if the files were recorded at 160 Mbps, then the 160 Mbps option would cause this problem. This is guaranteed to fail as the card can not keep up with the data rate, thus resulting in corrupted files.

I just reviewed all of Ofer's emails, and I did not find an reference to using the 160 Mbps mode, so this may or may not be the cause of the three corrupted files.

Ofer has been using the Flash XDR for some time now. These corrupted files could have been recorded month ago.

5. In the Flash XDR and nanoFlash, we make every attempt to determine the card brand/type/speed so we can limit the bit rates to ones that will work with the cards.

However, some early Transcend cards do not provide us with enough information. As such, we did not limit the speed to 100 or 140 Mbps, thus allowing for the possiblity that an improper bit-rate could be used.
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Thanks Dan,
Really just trying to find out where we are in terms of being bomb-proof reliable. I know there were (and are bound to be) teething troubles, and also know that you guys are working like crazy to iron them out. Of course we all want something that we can depend on entirely and that won't give us surprises when we get our precious material to the edit. In the early stages of course you have the option to record simultaeously to tape/disc just in case but obviously you'll be hoping to get to a stage where that won't be neccessary, and maybe already have?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey