time & date stamp ... at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 898
time & date stamp ...

I believe time&date stamp is not possible at this time but if not, why not?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:28 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 898
Dan & Mike ...

what about date & time stamp?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Augusta Georgia
Posts: 5,413
Dear Dean,

I need to check on this.

In the middle of the night I did not have time to run a test.

We should be putting a date and time stamp in the file header, and by this I mean the file header which is part of the computer's operating system.

Are you speaking of a date and time in the file header of the Quicktime or MXF file?

We have a clock in the Flash XDR and nanoFlash, so we know the date and time.
__________________
Dan Keaton
Augusta Georgia
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 898
my thinking .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Dean,

I need to check on this.

In the middle of the night I did not have time to run a test.

We should be putting a date and time stamp in the file header, and by this I mean the file header which is part of the computer's operating system.

Are you speaking of a date and time in the file header of the Quicktime or MXF file?

We have a clock in the Flash XDR and nanoFlash, so we know the date and time.
I was thinking more of a time and date stamp on the video window ... lower right hand corner. Good for police work. It would make the nano ... well, interesting for this type of investigating work.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Augusta Georgia
Posts: 5,413
Dear Dean,

Thanks for the clarification.

I am sorry, but we are not setup to burn in the date and time onto the video.

We will be offering a GPS module and GPS support so that each frame will have the location. I feel that we could also include the date and time, as data associated with each frame.
__________________
Dan Keaton
Augusta Georgia
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rancho Santa Margarita
Posts: 590
Hi Dean. I recommend you set the recorder to use current time as the timecode format and then you use your NLE to burn in date and time overlay on the video picture. In FCP this is a timecode reader filter, if I recall correctly.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Incline Village, Nevada
Posts: 604
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe for survelliance video to be admissable as evidence in court, it can only be submitted in it's original format. Adding timecode or date/time data in an NLE may prohibit it from being submitted as evidence.

I am by no means an expert on this however.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 898
Not true ... well ... maybe !

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe for survelliance video to be admissable as evidence in court, it can only be submitted in it's original format. Adding timecode or date/time data in an NLE may prohibit it from being submitted as evidence.

I am by no means an expert on this however.
While all law enforcement (I don't work for them by the way) are NOT required to have date and time stamp on video evidence used in court ... they are encouraged to do so when possible. This is certainly true when conducting depositions of witnesses (those who cannot be present) for a trial. Each State has it's own rules on the subject but you are increasingly seeing date&time stamps on videos used for legal purposes. If the date&time are recorded in the original recording then it is highly likely to be excepted by a court of law.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 898
excellent idea ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Dean,

Thanks for the clarification.

I am sorry, but we are not setup to burn in the date and time onto the video.

We will be offering a GPS module and GPS support so that each frame will have the location. I feel that we could also include the date and time, as data associated with each frame.
That would probably do the trick!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #10
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Augusta Georgia
Posts: 5,413
Dear Dean,

I can confirm that our GPS support will include:

Date
Time
Location

This data will be recorded in such a manner that it will be recorded as data, and not as a visible overlay.

We will have tools available to make use of this data.

I know many would like for us to burn this data into the image. This does have the flexibility of recording this data, even when one does not want the full frame image to be modified in any way.

While we understand the need for many to have this data burned into the image, this is not practical for us at this time.
__________________
Dan Keaton
Augusta Georgia
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 898
thanks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Dean,

I can confirm that our GPS support will include:

Date
Time
Location

This data will be recorded in such a manner that it will be recorded as data, and not as a visible overlay.

We will have tools available to make use of this data.

I know many would like for us to burn this data into the image. This does have the flexibility of recording this data, even when one does not want the full frame image to be modified in any way.

While we understand the need for many to have this data burned into the image, this is not practical for us at this time.
it was just a thought.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #12
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Augusta Georgia
Posts: 5,413
Dear Dean,

We would love to be able to burn the data into the image.

We have to be cautious in not using up too much processing power or too much program memory.

After we have all of the features that we promised implemented, then we just might be able to reconsider your request.
__________________
Dan Keaton
Augusta Georgia
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network