NanoFlash will support 8-Channel Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Major Player

NanoFlash will support 8-Channel Audio

Hello Dan,
In another thread you said "Our Chief Engineer has 8-Channel audio working also, so this, any many other features will be included in this Public Beta". This is great, I can certainly make very good use of these extra channels in my work.

Question:
Given the limited number of inputs on the EX3 camera which has two audio channels which most camera's have, how do we in the real world get access to send the extra channels to the Nanoflash?

Many Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

For starters, the Nanoflash would merge its stereo analog input with the input from the SDI stream. For EX1/3 users, that's an easy four channels.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

There are multiple ways to look at our upcoming 8-Channel Audio capability.

1. For acquisition, we can take the channels that the camera provides, 2, 4 or more, via HD-SDI or HDMI into the nanoFlash.

Then we can add two channels of analog (once we have this feature working).

If one's camera has only two or four channels, one could use an HD-SDI audio embedder to feed the nanoFlash more channels.

2. For delivery.

One can create up to 8 separate channels in your NLE, then output this via HD-SDI or HDMI to the nanoFlash for delivery.
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Dan,
I am very interested in the HD-SDI audio embedder, that will allow me to embed 8 audio channels plus SDI video. Would you be able to suggest one that would suit the EX3 and Nanoflash setup. I really do not like the idea of using the mini TRS connector (tip, ring, sleeve), I have had them fail on other equipment in the past with constant use.

Hey what about CD developing a 8 Channel Analogue, AES and Embedded HD-SDI Audio breakout box?
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Lance. I have a Motu V4HD. That will embed 8 channels of analog audio into SDI. It's a rackmount though so not exactly portable. I've seen some little embedder boxes out there that will embed audio into SDI though.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Hello Aaron,
"I was I was looking at the Motu V4HD as part of my studio kit but I found support was lacking. If you can remember what the "little embedder boxe" was I would really appreciate it I am looking for something that portable for live events and staging.
Many Thanks
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

I have not researched this yet.

You may want to check out Miranda.
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Major Player

How much is the Miranda box?

I spied [ this ] (effective) 4 channel (2 stereo) analogue audio embedder that looks good. It has balanced inputs which is good, however, I am pretty sure it does not supply phantom power. Have no idea what the price is for the unit.

Lance what do you mean "lacking support"? MOTU in my experience with their audio interfaces has been pretty darn good. There was a brief time when they had a bad reputation for driver issues but that period is long since gone. I have had 2 pieces of MOTU gear that I use every day and have for a few years. No complaints.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

AJA makes a Four Channel analog audio embedder:

AJA | HD10MA HD/SD (dual rate SDI) Audio Embedder / | HD10AMA
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Andrew.
You are right it was during the time when they had a bad reputation for driver issues my AV supplier said the very same thing. I do like MOTU gear I use two MOTU Traveler's with repeaters and 60 meters of firewire cable to carry audio from stage my work station. Hey the 4461A SDI analogue audio embedder Mini Blox is the type of unit I have been looking for but with 8 channels.

Dan the Mini Blox is the type on device I have been looking for but with 8 audio channels perhaps CD would give consideration to producing a similar device that is user friendly and certified to work with the NanFlash.
I would buy it.
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Major Player

The AJA H10MA is a nice unit for the price. Fair price I would say at B&H's discounted cost which is presently at $850.

Checked the tech specs on B & H as well as AJA. You would have to have a mixer with phantom power capabilities to add mic power for your powered condenser mics. So add at least another grand or two for a decent portable mixer unless you already have one or a soundman to handle that.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

As an location sound person, I would love for us to come up with the following device:

1. 8 or more channels of input.

2. Balanced XLR inputs.

3. Selectable Phantom Power for each input.

4. Gain and Trim for each channel.

5. Great meters.

6. Great Headphone monitoring

7. The ability to accept an HD-SDI signal for input, then embedded the above audio channels into the signal, then output the HD-SDI with the embedded audio.

To be realistic, we are very busy adding features to our line of HD/SD recorders.

Also, I just love Sound Devices' gear.

I wonder if, for many applications with this many audio inputs, wouldn't there be an audio person involved, with the appropriate audio gear, to record the sound separately (Dual System Sound)?
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:33 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

AJA makes a Four Channel analog audio embedder:

AJA | HD10MA HD/SD (dual rate SDI) Audio Embedder / | HD10AMA
That is a nice device there you posted. It looks like I would be able to get four channels into the nanoflash SDI from the Sound Devices 788T using the AJA embedder and using four sound Device TA3F to XLR cables.
Daniel S. Melius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 01:24 PM   #14
New Boot

Correction to my last post as 6 channels can be sent from the 788T as I forgot about the 3.5mm analog unbalanced channel output for channels 5 and 6 on the 788T that would go into the 3.5mm input of the nanoflash.

It's to bad that the AJA can not be battery run though according the description on B&H photo.
Daniel S. Melius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel S. Melius View Post
That is a nice device there you posted.
Or, for half the price, you could get http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/620833-REG/Blackmagic_Design_CONVMCAUDS_Mini_Converter_Audio_to.html, which does the same thing. It will "embed 4 channels of analog audio, or 8 channels of AES/EBU digital audio into any SDI video connection."
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey