DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   SD Sync Test (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/473255-sd-sync-test.html)

George Griswold February 20th, 2010 08:57 AM

SD Sync Test

2 Attachment(s)
I did a sync test this AM with my SDX-900 using the SD 50 setting on the nano and I can't tell if it is OK. I have brought a 10 minute test into FCP and did a few screen grabs with the canvas showing a slate (homebrew), time line with audio waveform, and frame counter.

When I play the clip it is in sync after I play it once*, but the audio waveform on the time line shows the audio 1-2 frames late in reference to the video. I will do more testing, but was wondering if anyone has time over the weekend if they could try it out and see what they come up with. My hunch is that the FCP time line is drawing wrong and the clip is in sync. I will be rolling tape Tuesday regardless.

Like to see what others find with the SD sync. If you have time to check it out and post your results that would be great. I know this was one of the top things on the list for the new firmware so my hunch is that it is OK.

Thank you,
George

* FCP 7.01, Aja ioHD (ver 7.5), Mac 2x 3Ghz Quad Xeon.

Dan Keaton February 20th, 2010 09:07 AM

Dear George,

When you play it in the nanoFlash is it in sync?

Piotr Wozniacki February 20th, 2010 09:19 AM

Yes - there is a (slight) possibility of waveforms not being drawn correctly.

To make sure, I'm recording to two media simultaneously (SxS and nano), put the 2 clips one under another on separate Vegas tracks, synchronize their video perfectly, route their audio to separate 2 buses, and listen to them (with my eyes closed) through the headphones.

Any audio shift between my left and right ear is immediately obvious.

With 1080/25p mxf (both 100 and 180 Mbps), no audio shifting whatsoever. I have yet to check other formats, including SD.

Dan Keaton February 20th, 2010 07:54 PM

Dear Friends,

I have been working with George, who has been testing the audio sync with our Public Beta 1.5.31.

I does appear from George's test, recording in SD, IMX 50, our audio is slightly delayed.

We will test this in our lab and make the necessary adjustments.

We are also seeing an unexplained buzz on Channel 1 (IMX 50).

George Griswold February 20th, 2010 08:32 PM

Test Conducted... audio late

2 Attachment(s)
This issue is still under review with Dan, but so far looks like we are not out of the woods with SD audio delay. Did an SD test using Panasonic SDX-900 in MOV and MXF and audio is late by two frames maybe one. See frame grab from FCP that shows two time times with two tracks of video synced (one nano and one tape capture) and see the waveform of the audio with audio peak offset by the amount of delay. Test with EX-3 set to SDI down convert to SD and produced same result.

George Griswold February 20th, 2010 08:33 PM

EX-3 MOV of sync delay <<goes with previous post>>

1 Attachment(s)
Goes with previous post. EX-3 with SD SDI output has same delay in audio as SDX-900.

George