Sony NEX-VG10 + NanoFlash? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 19th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: Sony NEX-VG10 + NanoFlash?

Dear Terrance,

That is great news.
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #77
Major Player

I was thinking about getting an F3, but thought I would wait it out until Sony came out with the "next one". In the meantime I thought I would pick up a refurb NEX VG10. I can use other lenses and get the big sensor factor when I don't want all the hassle of my EX-3 with a Letus. I should have it in a day or two.

To get clean HDMI out do you need to be recording, or do you just take out the SD card from the camera?
Looks like I can feed the nanoFlash with HDMI and view video on the SDI out... is that correct? I only have SDI monitors.

Thanks,
George
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #78
Sponsor: Convergent Design

Hello Greg,

You can record to the nanoFlash via HDMI or SDI, With or Without recording internally to the camera, but note since it is HDMI based, if you hit record on the Camera that will not trigger the nanoFlash, Like you can with your EX3 via a Timecode trigger.

So to record from a HDMI camera, it simply needs to be on and the HDMi out set for the Desired frame rate with the nanoFlash.

And yes if you feed the nanoFlash SDI or HDMI in, we always broadcast the same signal to both outputs, giving you the most flexibility when it comes to monitors.

Hope that Helps

Best Regards
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #79
Major Player

Thank you Andy,

I will have the camera in a few days and I will try out some different Nano settings to see what is possible. As always, the Nano continues to amaze me at its capabilities.

George
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #80
Major Player

I am trying to locate a 2 foot mini HDMI to mini HDMI cable... anyone found one? Monoprice has a 9".. that is too short to mount the nano in a good place.
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #81
Regular Crew

B&H Photo has some short ones.
Terrance Odette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:00 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Dan
Having issues with cranking down from 25p to 24p from the VG10E to the nanoflash. It is dropping a frame from time to time and the jump is too noticeable. Do I need to set the nanoflash to do the pull-down? Is this an obvious mistake on my part?
Terry
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:33 PM   #83
Inner Circle

Dear Terrance,

When cranking from 25p to 24p, we have to drop a frame.

It may be better for you to do this in post.

I am open to suggestions from others.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:25 AM   #84
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
I am open to suggestions from others.
I don’t know how much room you have in the firmware (I wouldn’t want you to sacrifice other features for this), but one way to make 24p from 25p is to save all video frames while still marking the clip as 24p. This will make the entire clip about 4% longer and slower, generally not a noticeable difference. You would then need to resample the audio to fit the new video length without changing the pitch of any sound.

I suspect that is what much of the post software does, as it is a lot easier to resample the sound with a Fourier transform than to resample the video. Resampling the video is not only computationally much more intensive (so it takes forever), it also increases its motion blur, so it is more noticeable than resampled audio.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #85
Regular Crew

Had a friend check out the ftg I shot cranking down from 25 to 24. Turns out it is a perfect 24p. I had made a mistake and was watching it on a 24psf timeline. I think had warned me of this earlier in the year. I do have some shutter issues but need to test it more. Big stutter when panning.

Now my new question is, has anyone tried output from the nex-5 to the nano? That is using manual lens and out via HDMI.
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #86
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance Odette View Post
Now my new question is, has anyone tried output from the nex-5 to the nano? That is using manual lens and out via HDMI.
This is what I've been wondering, too - anyone tried?
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #87
Regular Crew

hi again, I made a test with nex-5 and nanoflash, but is a pain in th.... is not a good idea, you never can optain a full monitor free of some settings or controls from the camera.
Gerardo Campos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey