DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Switching between inputs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/521763-switching-between-inputs.html)

Herb Forsberg February 19th, 2014 02:43 PM

Switching between inputs

Is it possible to switch between SDI A in and SDI B in?

Thanks!

Daniel Epstein February 20th, 2014 02:41 PM

Re: Switching between inputs

Hey Herb,
Not sure how to answer your question. Are you trying to use it as a switcher to record a switched feed? May also depend on what you are actually feeding the inputs. Mitch Gross is managing product here in NYC so you may just want to talk to him.

Brian T. Young February 21st, 2014 02:00 AM

Herb - put it in multi-stream and then feed SDI inputs A and B - then you should have QUAD and SDI A or SDI B along the bottom of the display. hit QUAD to see Quads - and hit SDI A or B (or C or D depending on what's currently showing) on the soft button to the right of QUAD and you will toggle through the SDI inputs.

this should be close - doing it by memory...

Dan Keaton February 21st, 2014 09:56 AM

Dear Brian,

Thank you for providing an accurate answer while I have been traveling.

Dear Herb,

I want to add some additional information.

Our Multi-Stream mode that we currently offer, only supports monitoring at this time.

Thus, at this time, you can't record while in this Multi-Stream Monitoring mode.

Later, we will make improvements, and this may coincide with our release of the Multi-Stream Recording Mode.

Our engineers have been dedicated to creating and testing the popular compressed code.

Please stay tuned, next week, for announcements about our next firmware release.

Respectfully,

David Elkins February 26th, 2014 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to monitor an FS700 and a Canon 5DII and I am getting no love. In fact the Odyssey does not seem to like this combo at all. I've got the FS700 coming in SDI-a and the 5D coming in the HDMI. The HDMI feed seems to take over the device and I cannot see the SDI feed. Also, the HDMI feed is horrible looking and has big refresh lines crawling up it. I have it in Multi-Stream mode. I've tried SDI-b to no result. Is this not a feasible monitoring combination?? Both feeds look fine by themselves without the other connected.

Also, when I have Multi-Stream enabled it says "Demo." I thought this was a feature that came with the device??

This photo shows how the Odyssey displays the 5D when in Multi-Stream mode. SDI does not even show up.

Brian T. Young February 27th, 2014 12:08 AM

i don't think you can mix HDMI and SDI into quads at this point. somewhere in my head, i believe it's slated for a future addition, but i could be wrong. i generally don't use HDMI, so I'll admit to not paying much attention to this input.

DEMO shows as the recording capability is a DEMO function only - but the viewing is, indeed a built-in/no cost function. I, too have requested that the DEMO marking be removed and I've been assured that's on the list.

Dan Keaton February 27th, 2014 08:19 AM

Dear Friends,

Yes, the "Demo" will be removed in our next firmware release.

In our initial firmware release, the HDMI input was not supported in Multi-Stream Mode.

In our initial firmware release, in DPX mode, as I currently understand it, the HDMI input has priority, thus if there is a signal on HDMI, then that is what is used.

I do not know if just having a HDMI cable connected is enough to cause it to use the HDMI port.

Respectfully,

Chris Medico February 27th, 2014 08:25 AM

I did find the multi-image feature very useful on my most recent interview setup.

Hopefully in the next firmware choosing between inputs will be easier than scrolling through them using the small screen target as it is now.

It would also be nice to have the ability to switch displayed inputs without going into multi image mode.

Dan Keaton February 27th, 2014 09:16 AM

Dear Chris,

I am in complete agreement with your requests.

Thank you,

Respectfully,

John Mitchell February 27th, 2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Elkins (Post 1834144)
I am trying to monitor an FS700 and a Canon 5DII and I am getting no love. In fact the Odyssey does not seem to like this combo at all. I've got the FS700 coming in SDI-a and the 5D coming in the HDMI. The HDMI feed seems to take over the device and I cannot see the SDI feed. Also, the HDMI feed is horrible looking and has big refresh lines crawling up it.

David - the 5dmk2 does not output a full res or clean HDMI signal - could this be the cause of the bad image?

David Elkins February 27th, 2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell (Post 1834194)
David - the 5dmk2 does not output a full res or clean HDMI signal - could this be the cause of the bad image?

The 5D image looks fine when it is the only input. It only goes wonky when I also have SDI inputting as well.

Funny how CD did not enable simultaneous HDMI and SDI viewing. This is a standard feature on other monitors with both inputs. Yet another reason to be leaving my Odyssey behind AGAIN and going back to my old tools. That waveform sure would have been handy tomorrow. Ugh.

David Elkins February 27th, 2014 11:34 AM

Figured out a kludgy workaround. You can leave the SDI plugged in at all times. When you plug in the HDMI the Odyssey defaults to that stream. To switch between the two you just remove and plug-in the HDMI as needed. Looks like the Odyssey will be making the trip with me after all. :)

Dan Keaton March 2nd, 2014 10:41 AM

Dear David,

There are many features and functions that we plan on adding to the Odyssey7Q.

It is certainly in our plans to support HDMI in Multi-Stream Mode and provide a better way to switch between the inputs.

Respectfully,