Switching between inputs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Switching between inputs

Is it possible to switch between SDI A in and SDI B in?

Thanks!
Herb Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Switching between inputs

Hey Herb,
Not sure how to answer your question. Are you trying to use it as a switcher to record a switched feed? May also depend on what you are actually feeding the inputs. Mitch Gross is managing product here in NYC so you may just want to talk to him.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Herb - put it in multi-stream and then feed SDI inputs A and B - then you should have QUAD and SDI A or SDI B along the bottom of the display. hit QUAD to see Quads - and hit SDI A or B (or C or D depending on what's currently showing) on the soft button to the right of QUAD and you will toggle through the SDI inputs.

this should be close - doing it by memory...
Old February 21st, 2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Brian,

Thank you for providing an accurate answer while I have been traveling.

Dear Herb,

I want to add some additional information.

Our Multi-Stream mode that we currently offer, only supports monitoring at this time.

Thus, at this time, you can't record while in this Multi-Stream Monitoring mode.

Later, we will make improvements, and this may coincide with our release of the Multi-Stream Recording Mode.

Our engineers have been dedicated to creating and testing the popular compressed code.

Please stay tuned, next week, for announcements about our next firmware release.

Respectfully,
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am trying to monitor an FS700 and a Canon 5DII and I am getting no love. In fact the Odyssey does not seem to like this combo at all. I've got the FS700 coming in SDI-a and the 5D coming in the HDMI. The HDMI feed seems to take over the device and I cannot see the SDI feed. Also, the HDMI feed is horrible looking and has big refresh lines crawling up it. I have it in Multi-Stream mode. I've tried SDI-b to no result. Is this not a feasible monitoring combination?? Both feeds look fine by themselves without the other connected.

Also, when I have Multi-Stream enabled it says "Demo." I thought this was a feature that came with the device??

This photo shows how the Odyssey displays the 5D when in Multi-Stream mode. SDI does not even show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Switching between inputs-snapseed.jpg  

Last edited by David Elkins; February 26th, 2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: added photo.
David Elkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

i don't think you can mix HDMI and SDI into quads at this point. somewhere in my head, i believe it's slated for a future addition, but i could be wrong. i generally don't use HDMI, so I'll admit to not paying much attention to this input.

DEMO shows as the recording capability is a DEMO function only - but the viewing is, indeed a built-in/no cost function. I, too have requested that the DEMO marking be removed and I've been assured that's on the list.
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Yes, the "Demo" will be removed in our next firmware release.

In our initial firmware release, the HDMI input was not supported in Multi-Stream Mode.

In our initial firmware release, in DPX mode, as I currently understand it, the HDMI input has priority, thus if there is a signal on HDMI, then that is what is used.

I do not know if just having a HDMI cable connected is enough to cause it to use the HDMI port.

Respectfully,
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I did find the multi-image feature very useful on my most recent interview setup.

Hopefully in the next firmware choosing between inputs will be easier than scrolling through them using the small screen target as it is now.

It would also be nice to have the ability to switch displayed inputs without going into multi image mode.
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Chris,

I am in complete agreement with your requests.

Thank you,

Respectfully,
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elkins View Post
I am trying to monitor an FS700 and a Canon 5DII and I am getting no love. In fact the Odyssey does not seem to like this combo at all. I've got the FS700 coming in SDI-a and the 5D coming in the HDMI. The HDMI feed seems to take over the device and I cannot see the SDI feed. Also, the HDMI feed is horrible looking and has big refresh lines crawling up it.
David - the 5dmk2 does not output a full res or clean HDMI signal - could this be the cause of the bad image?
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
David - the 5dmk2 does not output a full res or clean HDMI signal - could this be the cause of the bad image?
The 5D image looks fine when it is the only input. It only goes wonky when I also have SDI inputting as well.

Funny how CD did not enable simultaneous HDMI and SDI viewing. This is a standard feature on other monitors with both inputs. Yet another reason to be leaving my Odyssey behind AGAIN and going back to my old tools. That waveform sure would have been handy tomorrow. Ugh.
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Figured out a kludgy workaround. You can leave the SDI plugged in at all times. When you plug in the HDMI the Odyssey defaults to that stream. To switch between the two you just remove and plug-in the HDMI as needed. Looks like the Odyssey will be making the trip with me after all. :)
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:41 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear David,

There are many features and functions that we plan on adding to the Odyssey7Q.

It is certainly in our plans to support HDMI in Multi-Stream Mode and provide a better way to switch between the inputs.

Respectfully,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey