RAW 4K from Beta O7Q FW and quick workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

RAW 4K from Beta O7Q FW and quick workflow

I am a Beta tester for the new FW on O7Q, and I am very impressed by the 4Kraw, and a few other things that I can't talk about.

Here is a sample, this is a very tough scene in my studio, bright outside and totally unlit interior. I would say at least 12 stops needed to make this look good. So a kind of camera torture, normally you would light a scene like this.

I am very happy with the quality I am getting from the FS700, this is iso 2000 29.97P set using the WF and zebra in the O7Q. Very easy to see what you are recording.

The lens is a Canon 24-70 f2.8L at 24mm f13 v1 180 degree shutter (1/60).

The detail and lack of noise is very impressive. There is no color grading at all just set to 5400K in Camera.

Go ahead and ask me more questions if you like I can elaborate a bit. I am putting the new FW through its paces and it is very impressive. This is what we have all been hoping and waiting for...

I did this in Adobe RAW soon we can use Speedgrade like this and we already can in Resolve, but it is great to see PSD workflow that works this well.

I have played with similar footage in Resolve then exported to ProRes and into FCPX. The 4K files play back perfectly in my maxed iMac in real time and display on my Eval monitor through a BM card as real time 1080. Or I can put it in a 1080 timeline and blow it up 4 times and play that back real time in the same setup including adding pan and scan to the footage. I am very impressed. I do use very fast RAIDs.

Below are some images showing the workflow and a JPG of the finished grade. I just put in a curve to raise the blacks and mids, then added a secondary to the right side increasing the exposure 1.65 stops and upping the mid contrast (clarity).
Attached Thumbnails
RAW 4K from Beta O7Q FW and quick workflow-wave-7q029_0001896moretweaking.jpg   RAW 4K from Beta O7Q FW and quick workflow-screen-shot-2014-03-02-7.59.11-am.jpg  

RAW 4K from Beta O7Q FW and quick workflow-screen-shot-2014-03-02-8.01.09-am.jpg   RAW 4K from Beta O7Q FW and quick workflow-screen-shot-2014-03-02-8.03.16-am.jpg  

Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: RAW 4K from Beta O7Q FW and quick workflow

Cool stuff.

How much of a quality improvement would you 'imagine' a super sampled HD image from the 4K raw stream would give? I'm presuming that feature is in the beta firmware, if you can talk about it. If not, maybe you could just speculate? ;)
Paul Gale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey