Title template: FCP/AE, workflow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old April 11th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Title template: FCP/AE, workflow?

Hi all!

The below comp is pretty ugly, but does anyone have any good tips, and/or know of good tutorials for creating animated "news-style name title" templates in Final Cut Pro?

I am just trying to think of the best workflow for such a thing.

Tips and/or links would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers,
Micky

Last edited by Micky Hulse; April 12th, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Micky Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Hmm, seems like Motion would be a good app to work with.
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Maybe this is a better question: What do you all use, and what techniques do you apply, in order to produce a lower-thirds (animated) template that is usable across multiple applications/platforms?
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Final cut pro is more than capable of doing good title overlays. After Effects & Motion is easier as it allows you photoshopish canvas...

It might be that you need a simple tutorial on basic design and typography.

Simple starting points...

Tighten the kerning (space between letters and words)
Adjust leading accordingly
Give different information a hierarchy with "weighting" - done by either font size, boldness or colour weight.
e.g.
Headline - hierarchy 1 - eye should register this first so bigger size, bold
Subheader - hierarchy 2 - bold
Description - hierarchy 3 - normal.

Good rule of thumb is not to space the letters and words too much and watch spacing between sentences. (Like your video camera, never rely on default auto settings if you're picky)

Hope that helps.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Major Player

And...

ALL CAPS for everything is difficult to read (particularly on screen) if you're not prudent.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lee View Post
And...

ALL CAPS for everything is difficult to read (particularly on screen) if you're not prudent.
Lol, great point! :D

Ok, so I do not think my example image helped this thread much... I quickly slapped that together.

Couple things:
  • When I posted this thread, I did not know how to explain the specific type of graphic element... that is why I posted a quick-and-dirty image/comp. I now know it is called "lower thirds".
  • I did not think I needed to make a beautiful example in order to get some help around here... So, without further confusion, I will remove the example image from my first post.

Kevin: Many thanks for your help. :)

I guess I am still wondering what apps you all use to create an animated "lower thirds" template for use in different apps/platforms.

For example, at my work we use everything from Windows Movie Maker and Premiere Elements to Final Cut Express and Final Cut Studio/Pro... I would like to create an animated lower thirds template that I can share across all those different apps and platforms -- My goal is to try and create a consistent branding for all of our videos.

I could use Motion (just now learning that app), but it seems like Motion is only really useful when used in conjunction with Final Cut Pro.

I think I may just wind-up using After Effects and will render-out something with an alpha mask.

Thanks all! I really do appreciate the feedback... Sorry if my questions are so vague.

Have a great night!
Cheers,
Micky
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Doi! I did not realize the second post was also posted by you Kevin! Sorry if my last post sounded like I was talking to more than just you. :blushes:

Again, thanks for the help. I really do appreciate your attention and pro advice. ;)
Micky Hulse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects