Shaky POV running footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shaky POV running footage

Hi,
I'm planning on shooting some POV style running scenes on an off-road trail. I'll be editing the footage in Final Cut Pro on my mac. I'm looking into ways to reduce camera shake while shooting, but I'm wondering if there are any ways to reduce the shaky footage using a program in post that will fix things all in one change (so something fairly automatic). Thanks!
Tim
Tim Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:32 AM   #2
New Boot

Try the smoothcam filter in FCP.

Maybe consider shooting in a higher frame size than your intended output, so you can utilize stabilization without seeing the edges of your frame.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wilkinson View Post
Try the smoothcam filter in FCP.

Maybe consider shooting in a higher frame size than your intended output, so you can utilize stabilization without seeing the edges of your frame.
Thanks for your advice Mike. I'll see if I can play with the camera and do some tests.

I tried to find the smoothcam filter but couldn't. I googled it and found that it looks like it's a new filter for FCP 6 while I'm stuck with FCP 5.0.4 I do have Effects>video filters>vivdeo>video stabilization Have you tried this? Does it work as well as smoothcam? I checked the online FCP manual and the description seems to be what I'm looking for (walking, running). I'll do some tests on this older filter and failing everything I could always try to find another computer with a newer FCP version - or upgrade myself if the newer filter works wonders.
Tim Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Major Player

If you rely on stabilization in post, I would experiment with different shutter speeds while recording the scene. The reason is that you will pick up a lot of motion blur while running with your camera, which will look wrong in the stabilized image. A faster shutter should pick up less motion blur, and you can always add more later if needed.

- Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects