Exporting alpha channel + keyed image layer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old September 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting alpha channel + keyed image layer

Did some digging on this one and haven't been able to locate an answer.

I've got several fairly long green screen projects on the table. My AE render times have improved since using 720p TGA image sequences, but they are still very long - about one hour per 1 minute of footage.

My question is if I can export the alpha channel/mask and the keyed image (with all Keylight effects applied - spill correction, etc) as separate sequences from After Effects, then import those into Premiere.

If I can get those into Premiere, I can work on the project much faster - with realtime previewing and not having to re-run the long AE render each time I make changes.

Bascially I only need After Effects for the keying phase of the work. Premiere is sufficient for most everything else I need to do to the projects (adding text, transitions, audio syncing, etc).

The problem is that now, if I want to change or adjust the background (or anything else), it means re-rendering the clip in AE each time. If I could do that in Premiere, my life would get much easier :)
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Dan. Yes you can render your keyed footage out of AE keeping the alpha channel and use it in Premiere. Just make sure that you use a codec that allows it - normally it is "millions of colours +' (the plus sign means that it will export the alpha). Render times can be long using Keylight, I presume you are using garbage matts which speed things up a little.
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Dan, you can use Dynamic Link to import un-rendered sequences into Premiere if you have Production Premium. There won't be a realtime preview, but you'll save time and not have to re-render the timelines to make changes.

A speed(ier) tip: Before applying the Keylight filter, add a series of Color Key filters (up to 3, depending upon the range of green tones) above it to minimize the number of pixels Keylight has to render.

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects