Motion 4 - Image Mask Trouble at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Motion 4 - Image Mask Trouble

Hi all, I'm using Motion 4 and I wanted to apply an Image Mask.

The idea is this:
--
One wide painting is fully lit, and then a cloud "shadow" slowly covers the painting as it moves in from left to right.
--

I have two layers: (1) is the painting fully lit. The mask would slowly mask this layer to reveal layer (2) which is the painting dimmed with a higher contrast.

I'm having trouble with the image mask itself, so I haven't even animated the mask yet. Is there a specific format that the image mask should be?

Please see the attached file for my layer setup in Motion 4. Even with the Image Mask applied, I'm not seeing any effect the painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Motion 4 - Image Mask Trouble-picture-2.png  
Old October 4th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Contributor

where is the clouds layer that you're setting as the image mask? is it the same res/aspect? is it turned on?
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Meyers View Post
where is the clouds layer that you're setting as the image mask? is it the same res/aspect? is it turned on?
Hi Austin! It should have been the same res and aspect, but it just wasn't working for me. I solved this by creating a cloud layer of basic white shapes and made an Image Mask out of that. For some reason that made it active/turned-on, and it was fine for what I needed to do (for the time being).

I think I put both at Square pixels. My project workflow is to render everything at 1280x720 and then just dump to anamorphic DVD. The client will also be provided the high def stuff if the videos are playing on a computer/kiosk (through quicktime, for example).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects