Canon USA announces VIXIA HF S11 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #31
Major Player

What I would think would work for both manufacturer (where are the dollars...) and purchaser (us) is analogous to the DSLR world where you can buy addon grips, which besides offering added battery power also frequently enlarge the control surface.

Imagine a recessed electrical connector in the bottom of the camera the addon grip would plug into at the same time you attached it to the cameras bottom 1/4" x 20 attachment.

It would of course have to have its own 1/4" x 20 mounting hole so you could still put it on a tripod or other mount.

This illustrates the concept.

B&H Kit Info
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:29 PM   #32
Major Player

This from camcorderinfo.com:

"
In a surprising find, we at Camcorderinfo.com have just discovered that the RA-V1 Lanc controller works perfectly with every applicable Canon camcorder we have in house. "Applicable" means Canon camcorders that have the newer, smaller accessory shoe (this excludes the HV40). The HF20, HF S10, and HF S100 all worked great.

The fact that the RA-V1 works with so many camcorders is a pleasant shock, as Canon had stated earlier that it would only be compatible with the new HF S11.

- Editor-in-Chief, Camcorderinfo.com
"

Read original here:

Canon Unveils HF S11 Camcorder for the U.S., Plus RA-V1 LANC Controller - Canon
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:44 AM   #33
Inner Circle

So it would appear that my "educated guess" that the feature was always there but undocumented and un-accessed was in fact correct... I love it when a plan comes together...

This would mean that it's very likely that the shoe can be hacked to access the LANC interface and who knows what else... just like the Sony A/V jack and shoe! Makes the Canon cameras a bit more interesting! May have to start hunting about for some Canon service manuals to add to my collection...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:24 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
... Makes the Canon cameras a bit more interesting! ...
Bingo. I've been noticing Sony has been removing things like headphone and mic jacks from their newer cameras, which makes them a lot less interesting ...
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Actually both the SR series and the XR's I have now have both mic and headphone, with the XR's better positioned.

Sony tends to leave those off the smallest cams though (CX series). It is possible to hack in via the AiShoe and A/V jack, but it's a hassle - that's where this go-round the XR's filled out my camera needs, decided the CX just wasn't enough smaller, and I like having a VF and the I/O interfaces, still miss full manual control, but their AI is pretty darn good.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Works on the HF11?

The answer is probably "yes," but I want to confirm that this will work on the Canon HF11. Does anyone know for sure?

Thank you very much!
Paula DiSante is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News