New Sony XDCAM - the PMW-100 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #61
JVC America

Re: New Sony XDCAM - the PMW-100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Crye View Post
@Ron Evans who wrote: "I share the view that Sony have all the bits I would like . They just don't have it in a single camera !!! My wish is still for a NX5 "plus" with Exmor-R sensors( lower noise level), full touch screen control, 60P can't think of much else it would need for me."

I can't agree more. I'm holding off on jumping ship from Sony to Panny until NAB, hoping, desperately hoping for the "new NX5" ... But the NX5, despite the fact that your tweaks DO result in a much better image, is still not a full 1080 "1000 TV lines" cam. Have a look at the details of the spec , and the design of the sensor, the element count. It is not quite as sharp as newer cams.

Waaah! I want a big zoom, big glass up front, fixed lens (interchanageable is BAD here in the dusty desert), smallish sensor for deep DoF, 422 10-bit HDMI output, AVCHD 2.0 for the 1080 60p, silky zoom rocker, expanded focus (not just stupid peaking which can fool you and blow shots), THREE rings (not a stupid selectable ring), 4.0" LCD ON THE HANDLE out of the way. , SDXC slots with relay or dual record. Why can't I have what I want? WAAAAHhhh!
I'm listening...
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #62
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi View Post
I'm listening...
Heh. A bit of a tease, Craig? I'm liking your HMQ10.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
I'm listening...
Very interesting...

Especially since Peter Bauce at HVS told me I NEEDED to go see the JVC booth at NAB after I told him what I was looking to buy three of this year...

See you Monday!
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #64
JVC America

Actually, I'm quite serious this time.
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Well Craig if you are listening I will re enforce what Stephen has said too. I really like the features that my NX5U has but would like better, modern sensor(s), the touch features like spot focus from the consumer cams and all the features that Stephen has listed. The present NX5U comes close and I can't see why Sony can't/hasn't upgraded other than it would eat into the other product lines too much. I have no problem with the present LCD size and would be happy with this size for touch controls etc and a separate 4", 5" or larger monitoring LCD when on a tripod that clipped into a hot shoe, something I am surprised none of the manufacturers have done yet.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #66
JVC America

Nothing would make me happier than to put a smile on Stephen's and your face.

Sincerely,

- Craig
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #67
Obstreperous Rex

Dang, my booth appointment at JVC is on Tuesday afternoon, I wonder if I can change it to Monday morning!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm listening...
Craig, I await the next few days with interest.

If you are listening, the thing that JVC have most got right is ERGONOMICS. Keep it up.

You are the only manufacturer to have actually succeeded in designing a small(ish) camera that is a pleasure to hand hold. Technically, cameras such as the EX1, XF305 are incredible in their own ways - but ergonomically they are a joke in a hand held situation. Why can't all cameras of this size/weight be designed as JVC do?

The place for the bulk and weight of a camera is on top of the shoulder - it is better from a manual handling (wrist strain) point of view, and in a scrum it's an obvious advantage to have less sticking out front. (A separate rig may help with the first point, not with the second.)
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #69
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Dang, my booth appointment at JVC is on Tuesday afternoon, I wonder if I can change it to Monday morning!
I'll be there on Monday morning, Chris.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #70
Inner Circle

Craig, I think you hit one of the improvements Stephen and I were looking for, new sensors. For me still missing 1920x1080 P60, touch focus control that I love on the smaller Sony cams I have and is now a must for any move from the NX5U. The NX5U has 7 programmable buttons not sure if the HM600 has any, need to look a little closer at the spec maybe some of the buttons are reprogrammable. Sony are really missing an opportunity I think as a new NX5 with new sensors and 1920x1080P60 would be great for them.

People now have a similar choice between Canon, Panasonic, JVC and Sony depending on the particular needs. Great

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #71
Regular Crew

@Craig Yanagi

Hi Craig!

Guess what - I just returned a Panny AG-AC160 to B&H. I had it for less than a day before I rejected it.

Although it looked good on paper, with the promise of AVCHD 2.0 1080/60p, variable frame rates, and a nice 22x wide-to-superzoom lens, it is a deeply flawed camera. For openers, the build quality was terrible. The buttons and switches rattle horribly; the sound comes through on the audio. The focus and iris rings feel scratchy and not smooth compared to Sony's. It also has zoom servo motors that whine with (compared to all the Sony's I have owned or tested) what seems like a banshee scream at all zoom speeds other than slow creep. I could hear them on every shot! The final straw came when I was sitting with it in a quiet room and realized I could hear the whoosh of the cooling fans!

So I boxed it up and sent it back. Another $50.00 shipping charge to UPS, and I am one return closer to B&H cutting me off from any purchases. ( This makes the 6th cam I have bought from them and then returned since October 2011.)

While on the B&H site I happened to notice this - the JVC GY-HM600U :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856596-REG/JVC_GY_HM600U_GY_HM600_ProHD_Camcorder.html
I thought - WOW - is this real? Finally the cam for me?!? Everything looked perfect, it seemed to have everything I want ....

Then I saw the specs and it only does AVCHD 1.0 - 1080/60i !!!

waaaaaah .... yet again I am sobbing with frustration!!

Craig, surely this is a mistake? I mean, everyone is doing AVCHD 2.0 Progressive with 1080/60p these days. I am flabbergasted that this otherwise fantastic-on-paper cam is crippled with 1080/60i. The GY-HM600U is so close to what I need ...

Is there anything you can do to fix this? Say you can and I am prepared to sit on my $5K until October 2012!

thanks,

Steve

Last edited by Stephen Crye; April 24th, 2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo and clarification
Stephen Crye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #72
Regular Crew

I can't make up my mind. as to go with: PMW-100 or Canon XF105.

Which one will give me better quality for doing weddings/reception?
Canon XF105 has: 58mm Filter Diameter
Sony PMW-100 has: 37 mm Filter Diameter

How does that play a role?
Mahesh Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Hi;

The XF 105 has been out for a while, so there are plenty of vids on YouTube and Vimeo to review. (The XF100 has the same optics). I thought this one showed sharp images, and in general is a beautiful film:

However, other vids I have seen seem soft, compared to, for example, the Sony VG20 or FS100. I've also seen some that show vignetting at the corners at zoom - that would drive me up the wall!

If I were trying to decide between the two, I would wait until the PWM-100 has been out for a while and there are sample vids to consider, also need to look at resolution charts, etc. Slashcam often posts such results.

You will not be able to determine image quality from a spec list.

Steve
Stephen Crye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #74
Major Player

I was just watching this preview of a preproduction PMW-100 and the reviewer said there were no built in ND filters. Is that true?!!

Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #75
Trustee

It does seem to share some specs with the NX70... which has no NDs, despite what some people claim. They seem to have wrapped he NX70 innards, lens etc. in an XDCAM package.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds