New Sony XDCAM - the PMW-100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:05 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: New Sony XDCAM - the PMW-100

This could be a very very interesting NAB.

I have a funny feeling that an EX5 will not appear. I do not know why but I have a feeling the shoulder mount design has been abandoned.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:31 AM   #17
New Boot

Unfortunately I don't think we will see any developments to the EX1/3 cameras at NAB. Even though the new PMW-100 seems to be a very competent addition to the XDCAM series it is not an alternative to the EX1 lacking many of the professional features of the EX1/3 cameras.

On the other hand you get 50Mbs/4:2:2 and four channels of 24 bit audio recording with the PMW-100!

Wouldn't it have been quite fantastic with Mk3 versions of the EX1/3 with 50Mbs codec, 4-channel audio and maybe slightly improved sensors!?
Per-Axel Gjores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:40 AM   #18
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per-Axel Gjores View Post
Wouldn't it have been quite fantastic with Mk3 versions of the EX1/3 with 50Mbs codec, 4-channel audio and maybe slightly improved sensors!?
Yup. It would seem to be the logical evolution of the EX1/3 line.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:44 AM   #19
Trustee

It should be a great NAB at the Sony booth. I now expect that Sony will eventually be adding 50mbps to the EX1 and EX3 line - but who knows?
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:50 AM   #20
Major Player

This is the kind of cam I am very interested in.

waiting on pricing...
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:15 AM   #21
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
This is the kind of cam I am very interested in.

waiting on pricing...
About 4.000 Euros + VAT
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM   #22
Major Player

40-400 lens, bummer.

Spec page is up on Sony germany: http://www.sony.de/biz/product/xdcam...technicalspecs
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:55 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I think this round of Sony announcements is a strong indicator of where the current market interest is.

On the one side there's demand for small ENG camera with deep DOF and Broadcast acceptable codec.
On the other side is an extremely flexible large sensor cameras with lots of DOF control (shallow DOF) and slow motion.

I'd guess that the demand for 1/2" and 2/3" sensors are in decline (relatively speaking) given large sensor DOF control and small sensor deep DOF portable quick use quick turnaround.

My own guess is that for the EX1 and EX3 it may be a slow fade to black although some of us might still hope for eventual improvements in that line.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:00 PM   #24
Major Player

No 1080 50/60p probably because it's not supported by the Mpeg2 codec (same as Canon's cams).
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I was ALL excited until I read those specs and noted:

40 - 400mm 35 equiv - not wide enough, not enough zoom on far end (need something like the NX5 range)
No 1080 60p - total bummer. Just fix the codec! 30P is just not fast enough to smoothly capture action. (and no possibility of a bit of slo-mo in post)

Did not see an expanded focus button.

Really liked the large, high-res LCD, placement is perfect.

WHY CAN'T ANY MANU BUILD A CAM I CAN USE?!? arrrrgggh. Been buying and testing and returning since October 2011. (rejected NX70, NX5, VG20) I'm sick of this ...

Still hoping for a successor to the NX5 - same features, same lens, AVCHD 2.0 codec, bigger LCD, true 1080 res (1000 TV lines - the NX5 does not have this and the footage is noticeably blurry as a result).

But I'm doubting it is going to happen. NAB is just two weeks away, Sony would have leaked it by now.

Might have to abandon Sony for Panny AC160 ... but it is a tank, lacks expanded focus, and the Panny pro support people seem clueless when I call them.

(sob)

Steve
Stephen Crye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
No 1080 50/60p probably because it's not supported by the Mpeg2 codec (same as Canon's cams).
This is absolutely correct.

Whenever you see XDCAM, NXCAM, AVCCAM, AVCHD or Canon XF --
and a couple other badges -- you will know right away that it does NOT
have 1080p60. Because none of those codecs currently support 1080p60.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:08 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Wait a minute, why is there only ONE CHIP?

Sony : PMW-100 (PMW100) : Technical Specifications : United Kingdom

Am I missing something? I understand it will bring the cost down, but won't this adversly affect picture quality?

Please, someone correct my thinking and tell me this will still replace my EX3...

Andrew
Andrew Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #28
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post

But my FS100 shoots 1080/60P. So does the NX70.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:26 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post

Chris,
Doesn't the new FS700 record 1920x1080 at 60p? Is it still considered an NXCAM or are they doing something different with the codec?

(EDIT: I just re-read the specs and it looks like it will OUTPUT 60p but only record 60i?)

Andrew
Andrew Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:29 PM   #30
Inner Circle

For the first year I had my NX5U I was a little dissapointed. It was definately better than my FX-1 but the SR11 and XR500 seemed to have a much sharper image with less noise. I have since fine tuned the NX5 and it is now just as good but still has more noise. The stock NX5U's seems to have both macro focus ON and also anti flicker ON both degrade the picture at least as far as my NX5U experience to where the consumer cams were much better. I have also set up picture profiles and it now does not look anything like the stock NX5U picture. If you just used a NX5U in a test without fine tuning then it does not perform well at all. In full auto it performs poorly against the consumer cameras. Auto focus is slow and not accurate, black level is too high, colour is low etc etc. Gives plenty of room for post adjustments but not a simple comparison.

My set up now matches very well with the EX3 and also does look better than the consumer cams ( SR11, XR500 and CX700 ) Gamma set, black level, colour detail etc etc. very different picture. Focus is HYPER critical. I still would like Spot ( touch ) focus like the consumer cams( NX5U has the consumer touch screen) and too would like 60P that I now shoot all the time with the CX700. The features of the NX30 look really atractive as a second camera to the NX5 being able to sync timecode,able to shoot 1280x720P60, PCM audio etc etc. I think it will replace my CX700. If 422 output is needed one can always use a Ninja etc as I think live output from all these cameras is likely 422 anyway. May be a better choice than the PMW-100

I share the view that Sony have all the bits I would like . They just don't have it in a single camera !!! My wish is still for a NX5 "plus" with Exmor-R sensors( lower noise level), full touch screen control, 60P can't think of much else it would need for me.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds