PowerMac Says Goodbye - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 7th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #16
Major Player

That's true. But, from what I've read, the 2 GHz Intel chips outperform the 2 GHz PPC chips. So, some improvement has been made.
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

All I have to say is thats one sexy machine...I will put a kidney on ebay shortly if anyone is interested.
Mike Andrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

Mike,

Weren't you the one wanting to sell your kidney for the new Canon HDV pro cameras? XH G1 or A1?

heath
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Can they squish that down into a laptop?
Quad-core processors are due out by the end of this year and might show up in laptops in 2007. :-)
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Ya, dude, you're startin' to run out of kidneys!
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Nope wrong Mike. I'm satisfied with my XL2. Gotta master this thing before even thinking about HDV.
Mike Andrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #22
MPS Digital Studios

Then guys named Mike are selling kidneys across the web!

hwm
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #23
Major Player

I wonder if this new Mac will/could attract many Windows loyalists.

One can buy this new MacPro and run Mac *and* Windows XP --and have the best of both worlds with no compromises.

According to their price comparisons presentation from Phil Schiller for the similarly configured Dell machine, the Mac Pro is quite a bit cheaper.

It would be funny to see someone buy this and only run Windows.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

Until they get a virus, then it's probably going to be a Mac world for that person. Hopefully.

heath
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quad Xeons? Cool. Expensive, but cool. Rumor has it that 'Leopard' might be out before 'Vista'. Now if they finally add 24p support for the HD100.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #26
Major Player

No, no, no, it's not quad Xeons, it's two dual cores. Yes, there's essentially four processors (cores) going, but it doesn't perform like quad Xeons (ie. four dual cores, thus making 8 cores altogether).

There won't be quad cores until next year, most likely in the Spring which will, conveniently, coincide with Leopard's release. By then I'm sure we'll have the option of dual quad cores, thus making the 8 core dream. Of course, then they'll probably have eight core processors within the next couple of years.
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
Quad Xeons? Cool. Expensive, but cool. Rumor has it that 'Leopard' might be out before 'Vista'. Now if they finally add 24p support for the HD100.
As Jack pointed out, not quad Xeons, just dual... Expensive? That's relative, but go compare with any other dual Xeon workstation available right now from Dell, HP or others. These prices are not bad at all. I'm perfectly happy with my current G5 Quad so I won't be buying one right now, but looks like Apple did a fine job with the new system design and specs.

My only complaint is that they really need some better options for video cards. The FX4500 is fine for those who want to pay the price premium, but why no nVidia 7800 or 7900 options? Their ATI X1900 option is fine, I'd just like to see some more.. What's up with the nVidia 7300? Did they strike a deal with nVidia or one of their OEMs to buy all the crap cards that the PC market refused to buy? ;-)
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #28
Wrangler

The new machines look great, but Apple is only claiming a 2x speed bump from the quad G5's, and the speed comparisons the published for the earlier Intel machines were evidently a bit optimistic. Will be interested to see some benchmarks with the pro apps... have been busy for the last few days so I haven't been keeping up with things.

For the time being, my dual 2.5 G5 which I bought in February 2005 is still doing everything I want. I'm just gonna stick with it until I have some compelling reason to upgrade... maybe another year? By then we should really be seeing some incredible machines from Apple.

But we're going to need to get some sort of a decent machine here at work so an artist visiting from Italy can edit video for one of our operas. Heh, maybe that will be a good excuse to get the company to buy me one of those babies ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #29
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
But we're going to need to get some sort of a decent machine here at work so an artist visiting from Italy can edit video for one of our operas. Heh, maybe that will be a good excuse to get the company to buy me one of those babies ;-)
Yeah Boyd, work it, work it. ;>)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #30
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu
I wonder if this new Mac will/could attract many Windows loyalists.

One can buy this new MacPro and run Mac *and* Windows XP --and have the best of both worlds with no compromises.

According to their price comparisons presentation from Phil Schiller for the similarly configured Dell machine, the Mac Pro is quite a bit cheaper.

It would be funny to see someone buy this and only run Windows.
I'm a (former? we'll see) windows loyalist... but I may buy one of these things and never let XP touch it. =P

My question is, why are the ram upgrades so expensive? They seem to be about double the price of what I can find for 'standard' price on the same type of ram everywhere else.

Ram upgrades are almost the only thing this box needs to be a solid HD editing computer, and that's where apple seems to padding for extra profit.
Evan Digby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News