On The Lot: New TV show coming to fox! Still taking admissions to be on the show! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 26th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
i'm always skeptical of things like this because it's a sign of desperation from hollywood.
Bingo.

This is even more confirmation that the decentralization of media distribution is starting to crumble Hollywood. The problem for them is that too many of us independent filmmakers are not motivated by riches and fame, but by disgust for what media and advertising is doing to our children.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #17
Trustee

... though i'm fairly sure all of us wouldn't mind the fortune part once in a while ;).
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #18
Trustee

I have to agree, I think it's the thrill of doing. The money may be good for the top 10%, but I think you're bound to having your script rewritten, or losing control in some fashion. Going by way of Hollywood, I can emagine that you're chances depend much on the satisfying a few individuals, rather than the entire and diverse audience at a local indie event.

I cannot fathom getting rich trying to make a movie in this way, and very much happy that I have a job producing simple corporate video. Occasionally I'll get a crack on doing something big on a small scale, an event, or signing up for a contest. I never expect to gain fame and fortune from any of this. Free of such pressures, it is purely the rush of the being part of something, and the accomplishment of setting a goal and making it. That's what counts.

Someone will pound their chest and declare that this thinking is wrong. That it's an excuse. Just remember that you only have so much time on this earth, and if you waste it pursuing money, you'll miss out on all the fun. Really.

If this isn't sinking in, then go visit your local cemetery, gaze upon the stones and remember that it's over for 'them'. The wealthier ones will have bigger stones than the poorer ones. But the truely richer ones will have 'lived' their lives doing exactly what they wanted.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

I don't think there is a problem in making money or not in this business. For me, making money would be to pay my bills, live comfortably and do this full time. That's why I'm taking a shot at On The Lot.

Plus, I want to try and bring my company's mission statement to Hollywood: "Produce good, quality movies." And it doesn't matter what kind of movies they are, as long as they're good and of a fine quality.

heath
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #20
Regular Crew

From what I've read so far, Mr. Spielberg is only confirmed to be a part of the show when the winner is announced. He may have a few comments here and there, but he's only there to give out the prize. As for the $1 mil prize, it's a development deal, not a production budget. Most likely, you'll use that to crank out scripts and bring ideas to producers at Dreamworks, and they will decide to finance it. So basically, it's a leg-up, but it won't guarantee that anything will be made. Consider it a big stipend, and Spielberg himself said that it's essentially a huge discretionary fund. So you could, I guess, make a film if you really wanted to. But with that budget, I don't think it will get you far in Hollywood.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

A $1 million development deal isn't anything to look down upon! Besides, working on scripts and film development at Dreamworks is a dream-come-true! Even if no movies get made, you can probably go far with the cred.

heath
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #22
Major Player

Well, I think most of what has been said here is true to some degree. But, in my thoughts, its not about the million dollar deal, or Spielberg, or even winning. I think, if you can get on the show, and if you are like me, if you are someone with a real passion for what you are doing, and a drive to make films. Someone watching is bound to say, "I want you, to come work on my film. I can tell you have a passion for what you do, I like that, I think you will make it far. Now, come join me!". Ok so, maybe that is a little over board on the hole saying for them. But still, I think you all can get the point of what I was saying. I do not mean to step on anyones toes or anything.. I am just saying, that even if you don't win, maybe someone will want you and you may even become bigger then the one person who won.

Meryem Ersoz, said to me before I even had a camera, she said to me "if an 18-year-old kid came to me with that kind of initiative, i'd hire him on the spot, because he would have all the other elements in place, and using manual controls on a more expensive camera would be just a matter of practice and time spent on whatever camera i will be providing employees four years from now....". That is what I am talking about, its not about the money or gear, its about you.

~Gabriel
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

Yeah, when one gets on a show like this, people take notice. And the fact that anyone puts their film up for the world to see and criticize, well, that's taking a chance. And that is a great thing!

heath
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
A $1 million development deal isn't anything to look down upon!
That's completely true. My post wasn't trying to downplay that -- a few other posts though made it seem like this was the ticket to getting your movies made. And I was just commenting on the actual particulars that I've read. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade.

Also, I forgot to mention that from what I've read, it's primarily a filmmaker *and* a producer thing. One director makes the movie, while the others on the team are supposed to be getting actors and arranging things. (I think it's already been mentioned that a professional crew is provided.) There was a recent news release about how part of the drama is seeing if the producer teams would be able to get bigger name stars into their productions.

In my opinion, whoever wins this thing will need to not rest on their laurels at having won the contest. It's a big foot in the door, but they'll need to use all their savvy to stay in the Hollywood game long after the prize is awarded. My main concern is the stigma of being a reality show winner. I just wonder how open Dreamworks will be to the winner's development ideas afterwards, or if they will be politely treated as that-person-who-won. The only reality show winners that seem to go on to any real success are the American Idol people, and contractually, they're pretty much owned for the rest of their lives by the American Idol people.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

You bring up a good point, and it's something I tell people all the time. Be a writer or a producer or a director, and find someone else to do the other stuff. It's so hard to be excellent at one thing if you're wearing a ton of hats.

Producing is easier for me than directing, but I am now focusing on directing only. I may help develop a project and get co-producer credit, but for the most part, I'm focusing on directing only.

heath
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #26
Trustee

u guys remember project greenlight? damon+affleck started that a few years ago. same premise, same amount of $. none of the directors from the series have "made it" after the series. they even changed their focus to horror by season 3.

so... there you go =D. just work hard, contest or no contest.
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #27
MPS Digital Studios

True, true, but any opportunity is good, I think.

hwm
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #28
Trustee

Yup. Access to the right people with a familiar passion. Like Gabriel points outs, winning or not, you're there with a back stage pass and folks looking at you with a vested interest. Can't get better attention than that. Even if you don't win, these folks are going to be brutally honest, and advice like that is still money in your pocket.
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #29
Major Player

Sorry folks; I didn't mean to hit any nerves or turn this into a philosophical debate. I was just projecting into words my own fear of 'selling out'. I would love to be compensated according to the passion I put into a project, whether it be a film or something else, but I find that is rarely the case and commercial viability always includes some sort of compromise in quality.

The announcement of this new show annoyed me in how it will further glorify the financial incentives of an otherwise artistic business. I believe that in some respects, art and business are mutually exclusive. What has happened with the music industry is really quite disappointing. Small record labels have popped up everywhere, adopting the business strategies of larger labels because of the extreme profit margin in exploiting the artist. We must not let this happen to the independent film industry.

That said, there is great value in publicizing the indie business, as everyone else has posted about. If the mass market becomes interested in indie film, the distribution channels we need may very well be demanded.

Ultimately the distribution channels/networks will determine our fame and profit, so I'm hoping that we don't become so motivated by greed and ego that we compromise our art to package a product for the widest market.

I will definitely watch one or two episodes, especially if someone from this board is featured.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #30
MPS Digital Studios

I wouldn't call it "selling out..." Let me ask you something, if you made a certain type of film that only you like, and no one else (trust me, I've seen these types of movies), would it be selling out if you decided to change your style so more people will dig it, and enjoy it?

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News