On The Lot: New TV show coming to fox! Still taking admissions to be on the show! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 6th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Ben,

I don't know if that would be the case. If you won the Fox show, Fox might just pump up your career, help you make the right contacts, help market your properties (er, their properties), etc. Or, they might drop you like a rock.

Not that all indie directors control their careers and destiny... The thing about the Fox show is that you would knowingly give up what little control you have. That could be really bad. But it could also be really good. But somebody else gets to make that decision.
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst
Ben,

I don't know if that would be the case. If you won the Fox show, Fox might just pump up your career, help you make the right contacts, help market your properties (er, their properties), etc. Or, they might drop you like a rock.

Not that all indie directors control their careers and destiny... The thing about the Fox show is that you would knowingly give up what little control you have. That could be really bad. But it could also be really good. But somebody else gets to make that decision.
I'm with Ben on this one... let me put it this way, Jon. Do you remember any contestants from American Idol? :D And if by some miracle, you do, do you really have any respect for them? I for one think of them exactly as Ben described it: "some guy/girl who won some contest". And it gets worse when i hear their songs.

I hate to be so negative about this but i just don't have any faith in reality shows in general. When i first came across the On The Lot show, it was actually going to be an HBO series. I wish i could document that but i swear it's true! Then i recently heard about it again, except it was going to be on FOX and i automatically thought of everything i've said so far. That's not to say i had any real faith in HBO had the show been aired there instead. FOX is just known to make their contestants sign atrocious contracts. And reality shows are known to do very tricky editing and leave their winners with nothing, really.

I don't know. I can't wait for the show to air. I hope it survives Season 1 because i'm genuinely interested in a reality show for the first time ever, but i would never want to be a contestant. :) Good luck to those who do! I've seen some of the films on the site and there are some very talented people there.
Raji Barbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raji Barbir
I'm with Ben on this one... let me put it this way, Jon. Do you remember any contestants from American Idol? :D And if by some miracle, you do, do you really have any respect for them?
Seriously?

I'm not a fan of their music but there is NO doubt the show helped them immensely. Also, if you like soft pop/country you no doubt own a few of these. I'm more of a Floyd/Stones/Queen kind of guy...

Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Clay Aiken have benefited on a major scale. Not to mention many others...Wikipedia shows the following album sales, just in the U.S.

Kelly Clarkson
(Season 1, Winner)
8.14 Million

2. Carrie Underwood
(Season 4, Winner)
4.78 Million

3. Clay Aiken
(Season 2, Runner-Up)
4.53 Million

4. Ruben Studdard
(Season 2, Winner)
2.41 Million

5. Fantasia Barrino
(Season 3, Winner)
1.95 Million

6. Chris Daughtry
(Season 5, 4th Place)
1.37 Million

Sorry, the numbers don't lie. You don't have to like them, but you have to see that American Idol has brought many of them great success. We're talking 5x and 3x Platinum Album sales for MANY of them.

If "On the Lot" does anywhere close to that... huge success.

Mike
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #49
Regular Crew

you're right, numbers don't lie and these numbers indicate success... but at what cost? They all have contracts stating, from what i understand (ie. i could be wrong), that they can never be contracted with another music label. They're completely bound to 19 Management, which to me means that FOX is looking for more intelligent ways to serve themselves, not their contestants. What good is commercial success if you can never switch to another label?

Also, i wonder how much of these profits go to the winners. Why would FOX go from a self-serving contract (forcing their contestants to bind themselves to 19 Management) to suddenly saying, "here! take all this money! we don't need it!".

the whole thing just reeks to me... maybe it's just my cynical personality though hehe
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
you're right, numbers don't lie and these numbers indicate success... but at what cost? They all have contracts stating, from what i understand (ie. i could be wrong), that they can never be contracted with another music label. They're completely bound to 19 Management, which to me means that FOX is looking for more intelligent ways to serve themselves, not their contestants. What good is commercial success if you can never switch to another label?
I'm very curious as to where you get your information from? Kelly Clarkson dumped Fuller (American Idol Creator/Producer) as her agent in 2005. I believe she is with Sony BMG or RCA but don't quote me on that.

I don't think any of the A.I. contracts last longer than a couple of years. Certainly not forever.

So.... she's selling millions or records, she's a household name (yes, most people have "heard" of her) and she is no longer with Fuller/A.I. Manager.

Not bad for a girl who attempted to get a contract before going on the show and was turned down everywhere.

Carrie Underwood is selling country albums at an alarming rate as well...

EDIT: I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to clear up some misinformation.

Mike
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #51
Regular Crew

and that's why i said i could be wrong! man i was way off!! I was going off of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_idol_controversy where they talk about Career Control. I thought their contracts were permanent.
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
and that's why i said i could be wrong! man i was way off!! I was going off of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_idol_controversy where they talk about Career Control. I thought their contracts were permanent.
No problem.

She is no longer with Fuller so I would assume that his grip isn't as tight as some people think.
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #53
Inner Circle

I'm very surprised! Usually reality shows made in the US never start with international admission!!! In Canada, CTV's taking the auditions.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News