Any ideas for boosting performance in FCP 6? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old June 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Tourist

Any ideas for boosting performance in FCP 6?

I really love what this program is doing, but I just can't get acceptable preview playback speeds in FCP 6 to justify a purchase of the full product. I'm working on the re-wrapped AVCHD format shot on the Canon HF S10, I get constant dropped frames, stuttering picture, really slow scrubbing, etc., it would take forever to edit a project like this. The files play fine in QT and VLC, but not FCP. So I'm just asking if there are any tips to increase performance in FCP to play these files.

Another thing, any reason why the re-wrapped files are extremely slow in After Effects CS5? The normal .MTS files work reasonably well, but when I re-wrap them, it takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds just to render one frame with no effects, when normally I can scrub through it fine. I know I can use proxies in AE, so it's not too big of a deal, but the less steps in my workflow the better.
Brandon Gosnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

Hey Brandon - Can you tell us what kind of machine you're working with?
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Tourist

It's a 2009 iMac with 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 GB of ram.

I usually edit from my external HDD using firewire 800, I wasn't sure if that was too slow, so I transferred my clips to the mac's internal HDD and pretty much got the same results.
Brandon Gosnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Sponsor: divergent media

When you drag a file to your timeline, is final cut prompting you to adjust sequence settings? Usually if i do that, and say yes, I get pretty good playable performance in final cut. Admittedly, that's on a Mac pro, but it doesn't seem like it's maxing out the system. Im on final cut pro 6 as well.

Ill test some options and see if i can find any speedups, nothing jumps to mind.
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Tourist

Yep, FCP is adjusting the sequence settings accordingly.

I've also got Premiere Pro CS5 on my computer and it plays back great. Granted CS5 has native AVCHD editing, but it's at least not a computer performance issue.

Could it be the camera that I'm using?
Brandon Gosnell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap