Composite Black Burst??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap
The official support forums for divergent media's ScopeBox (video monitoring and recorder) and ClipWrap (m2t to .mov re-wrap).

Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Composite Black Burst???

Colin, using a BM intensity shuttle with your Scopebox - composite input - I see no burst in the waveform. Is this a Scopebox thing or a Intensity Shuttle thing? I ran into a situation where I needed to evaluate a house sync signal, i.e. BBurst. (Including the little burst on the front porch). Don't know if it can be done without using an old, analog Tektronix or Leader WF Monitor. Any ideas? Thoughts? Resign ourselves to a digital age...
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 05:25 AM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

Re: Composite Black Burst???

ScopeBox can only see the in-raster data (that's all the capture devices pass), so things like that aren't going to be visible. In general, they don't exist in a digital signal at all. Are you monitoring an actual analog signal coming down something like a composite cable? Some digital scopes synthesize it, but at that point it loses most of the usefulness.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 07:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Composite Black Burst???

Yeah, I kinda figured that was the way it goes. Was working with an HD/SDI flypack that used BlackBurst, (i.e.composite video/burst sync with just 7.5 video black) as the 'house sync'. It's a 'rental', and some people used the 'tri-level sync' option instead, square waves that can fry the analog based dist. amps that send the house sync to all the gear in and external to the pack. Some gear wasn't seeing sync so we wanted to see if the signal had been corrupted by fried DA's. (More detail than wanted? ;-)
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap