How's it going? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Wrangler

How's it going?

Thanks to one Dylan Couper I am out of my quagmire and [maybe] off to the races! A little whining to him about not knowing what to do paid off with him giving me a GREAT idea. Now if my pals come through we should be in business.

How about you? :)
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Congratulations (and "giggity") on escaping your quagmire. I have a guess as to your idea, but I won't say anything, in case I'm right. Break a leg with it, in any event.

I managed an idea during the preliminary stage of this thing, once it was announced that we'd be doing "video industry" stuff, and although I waited until the theme was presented to decide on it once and for all, the "attention to detail" thing means it should still work. It's a fictional orientation video, of sorts, which is all I'll say for now.

I ended up swapping day and night, as I predicted, just like every other time we have one of these competitions. I'm probably going to be up all night again (strictly speaking, I already have; it's twenty past four AM as I type this), but with any luck I can use this time to bang out a script, and in short order I can get shooting. Luckily that space in the basement is still clear from my disappointing trek through the jungle.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Major Player

What does "attention to detail" mean? Kind of leaves things wide open. So I've going fictional narrative but including a lot of closeup shots to evoke the mood.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Wrangler

I take it to mean don't be cutting any corners, whether with the script or the technical side of things. Extra points for great audio, great shot selections, great lighting and camera technique, etc. Here's another look at #2 in the theme announcement thread:

2) Production value - here is where you really need to pay attention to detail to win. The judges will this time be looking hard at your camera/editing/sound/music/titles.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens View Post
I have a guess as to your idea, but I won't say anything, in case I'm right.
Robert, if you guess this one I'm going to think you've hacked into my email. But then again, you know Dylan and my ways pretty well. :)

You and I should shoot a nighttime film together since we're generally up all hours of the night anyway.
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mays View Post
What does "attention to detail" mean? Kind of leaves things wide open. So I've going fictional narrative but including a lot of closeup shots to evoke the mood.
As Lorinda says, it means - pay attention to all aspects of your production; light, sound, music, camera work, editing.
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Dylan, I am sure you will check the FAQ section as well sometimes before the end of the challenge :P
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I still a bit confused on this challenge.

Can I just submit on of my commercials that I will be shooting this month? As long as it pertains to the theme...
Clint Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Wrangler

By all means, Clint! That would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugurel Dragusin View Post
Designing titles for a fictional feature film would qualify as a valid entry?
Pretty much anything goes this round, Mugurel. The trick with an idea like designing titles is making it compelling. Judge anything you might like to do by the criteria Dylan gave and go from there.

Industrial videos, training, promotional--whether real or fictional, any type of event (like soapbox racing, local celebrations, etc.) --it's wide open!
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Major Player

I'm also a bit confused about the theme and I'm not sure I can pull it together till the end date, but I'll try.
Currently have two projects in early development which I could in theory put to use for this challenge, or maybe I'll decide not to rush them and skip this time.
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Wrangler

I'm surprised anyone can be confused by this... there is no theme, it's a challenge to pay attention to detail... add sound effects, music, titles, etc... This is the simplest challenge we've ever done. You can shoot basically anything from the world of video production.

Me? I'm doing a "talking head" type project, it'll be about a 30 minute shoot, tops. Rained out today though.
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

I was going to give this a try this round but I have one major stumbling block.

I need to use a couple very short clips for the introduction which were shot at a different time of year as they are totally unavailable at this time, perhaps 15 0r 20 seconds.

Would that be unacceptable?

Thanks,

Dale Guthormsen
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM   #13
Major Player

Dale,

Doesn't that fall under the "Don't ask, don't tell policy? Or did they repeal that..."

Attention to detail finally got me off the stick enough to design a trailing credit logo. I always liked Lorinda's and was coveting one of my own. It's my favorite part of this one.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:57 AM   #14
Wrangler

Dale, I'll ask Dylan about your predicament. He hates to see someone not submit a film because of things like that. BUT, the rules are quite plain so I don't know. Is there any possible workaround so you don't need that 15-20 seconds of footage?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM   #15
Wrangler

Hi Dale,

I sent a message to you by gmail on June 1. Did you receive it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge