DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   Cell phones ... the new cigarette? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/51370-cell-phones-new-cigarette.html)

Michael Wisniewski September 19th, 2005 03:54 PM

Cell phones ... the new cigarette?

Ok, since when did cell phones become the new cigarette? I noticed a lot of entries using cell phones as a way to give actors something to do while they were "acting". They even became part of the action.

You used them well, but just I was just tickled by how prevalent cell phones were in the shorts.

Jeff Sayre September 19th, 2005 04:10 PM

Michael:

I'm not sure if you noticed the cellphone in Gardens of Tomorrow but it played a very minor role. Even though it is visible in the final cut, I basically did not utilize it for what I had originally intended.

We used a tire pressure gauge as a high-tech nano probe injector, a small, glass picture frame as a futuristic communication device, an old cordless phone as a medical device, a $9 folding table as a lab table, and some glass vases as scientific instruments.

I like using everyday objects as unusual props. It's fun utilizing these objects in a way that makes people believe they are unique devices even though they can clearly recognize what they really are. After all, it's all about setting the mood so that your viewers can suspend their disbelief.

Fredrik-Larsson September 19th, 2005 05:05 PM

I think I might be guilty of overusing cellphones... after all we use them a lot in society today :) But the real reason was that I couldn't get enough actors in such short time so I took the easy way out and used them to make the audience aware of what's going on. So... it was a "dirty" way to deliver my message... *feeling guilty*

I figure that without the cellphones I would have to take pictures of the murder, a car chase around town, probably some shoot outs... actually things that would be quite fun to do... but they would of course need more time and I was already late on schedule.

Scott Hebert September 19th, 2005 05:46 PM

Fredrik-Larsson had both ;), (cigarettes and cell phones), he should go to cliche prison (just joking bud, i loved your video, i had a similar concept in the begining so probebly better for the bost of us i decided to go an alternative route)

Sean McHenry September 19th, 2005 06:36 PM

I used one in "Secrets" and there's one in the first shot of the new one too. Used like a regular phone these days. Could almost substite this "film device" for the old VO over a shot of someone reading or writing a letter from WWII and further back films. It's a quick way to introduce a character or idea that would otherwise remain hidden from the viewer I suppose.

Sean

Dylan Couper September 19th, 2005 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
Ok, since when did cell phones become the new cigarette? I noticed a lot of entries using cell phones as a way to give actors something to do while they were "acting". They even became part of the action.

LOL, wait for day 5!

Jonathan Jones September 19th, 2005 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
We used a tire pressure gauge as a high-tech nano probe injector, a small, glass picture frame as a futuristic communication device, an old cordless phone as a medical device, a $9 folding table as a lab table, and some glass vases as scientific instruments.

Jeff, dude you're freakin' awesome! I love the creativity.
-Jon

Jeff Sayre September 19th, 2005 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones
Jeff, dude you're freakin' awesome! I love the creativity.
-Jon

Jon:

Thanks! I'm afraid half of it was creativity and the other half was desperation.

Of course, after I was done editing, I realized that I truly did like the weird juxtaposition of obvious objects used in unexpected ways. I intend to continue doing that in the future!

Nick Hiltgen September 19th, 2005 10:58 PM

I know I'm one of Dylan's guilty day 5'rs. Anyone else want to fess up ahead of time?

Bradley L Marlow September 19th, 2005 11:04 PM

Nick? But did you use a camera that's talking on a cell phone?

Nick Hiltgen September 19th, 2005 11:23 PM

What I should've done was use the cell phone camera, so stupid...

Fredrik-Larsson September 20th, 2005 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Hebert
Fredrik-Larsson had both ;), (cigarettes and cell phones), he should go to cliche prison (just joking bud, i loved your video, i had a similar concept in the begining so probebly better for the bost of us i decided to go an alternative route)

I know... I hear this godly voice in my ears... (the camera god)

Voice: Fredrik, what were you thinking?
Fredrik: uuhh..
Voice: You weren't thinking, were you?
Fredrik (blushing): eehh.. no? (giving puppy look)
Voice: What are you going to do about it?
Fredrik: a new movie?
Voice: And?
Fredrik: Without cellphones and cigarettes??! (happy)
Voice: Good!

So, yeah... I think that next one MIGHT be without cellphones and cigarettes. Secretly thinking: I can use a landline phone and cigars... he he :)

Jonathan Jones September 20th, 2005 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
So, yeah... I think that next one MIGHT be without cellphones and cigarettes. Secretly thinking: I can use a landline phone and cigars... he he :)

Why not just go for broke and write in two walkie talkies and a pinch of 'chaw'.

or maybe even two cups and a string along with a corn cob pipe.
(mmmmmppphhhhhh..

...what?

..mmmmppphhhhh...!

...what??

...[pulls face out of cup and shouts across the street] I SAID PULL THE STRING TIGHTER, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YOU'RE SAYING!!!

-Jon

Fredrik-Larsson September 20th, 2005 01:16 AM

Jon, great ideas! :)

And btw, if I could vote in USA you would have my vote. You seem like an "honest" candiate. :-D

Jonathan Jones September 20th, 2005 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
Jon, great ideas! :)

And btw, if I could vote in USA you would have my vote. You seem like an "honest" candiate. :-D

Thanks...that is one of the things I hope to change when I'm King'a'here. I want to open up elections to anyone anywhere who live in a region that in some way might end up being effected by US policy - which at least under current administration seems to be anyone anywhere. Thanks for the vote of confidence...I'm slowly moving towards my hundred million votes..(real slowly)
-Jon