The REAL Dvc7 Theme Announcement! Go Go Go - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old December 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Broussard
I missed it! I was looking forward to a new challenge. I guess I should check the posts more often that once a month.

I will be looking forward to the next one. Good luck to all!

No excusses Bruce! For this one you can sign up anytime. even now!!! And, you still have five days left!

Add you name to the list and get to shooting.

Mike
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #47
Major Player

Question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Does my dog count? Seems like I'm always a one man show.

Mike
Heck yeah Mike! Like Kris says- they don't talk back and their pay scale is quite manageable.

On another note: Can anyone here help me with an answer to this question?

Can you tell me how many bars or words of a song CAN be used before it is considered a violation of copyright? What if an actor sang a few words of a known song in a film?

I realize this can be tricky and believe me, I would rather go the side of caution as opposed to the direction of trying to get away with something. If there is a legal AOK in this however, would love to know the exact rules and am having one heck of a time trying to find out.

Thanks and Best Wishes~
Bradley
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow
Can you tell me how many bars or words of a song CAN be used before it is considered a violation of copyright? What if an actor sang a few words of a known song in a film?
If you can recognize it then it's a violation. It can even be a fragment of a second. The again saying "I love you" probably exists in a couple of thousand songs so it can't really be a violation. However I love you with the notes of a specific song is tougher.

What I would recommend you to do is go for traditional songs where the copyright is over. I think "Amazing grace" is one and I know there must be pretty many other songs which are recognizable but are now "safe" to use :)
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson

What I would recommend you to do is go for traditional songs where the copyright is over. I think "Amazing grace" is one and I know there must be pretty many other songs which are recognizable but are now "safe" to use :)
I'm using a version of "O Holy Night"

I think that is also considered "safe" to use.
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #50
Major Player

Thanks Fredrik

Quote:
If you can recognize it then it's a violation. It can even be a fragment of a second. The again saying "I love you" probably exists in a couple of thousand songs so it can't really be a violation. However I love you with the notes of a specific song is tougher.

Hey Fredrick- always nice to see you here and thanks. I was concerned about this. I have contacted ASCAP to inquire into one song. There was some mention of a license variation in the less than 30 seconds category through ASCAP but this remains to be seen. If it isn't something we can do, I will do my usual legal purchasing of Royalty Free music, have the rights to use it, etc.

Best wishes and am looking forward to your film

Bradley
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #51
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Holodak
Good thing you withdrew, Kitty is one of Blue's nicknames. I was all set to shoot a few angles of her snoozing in the sun on the back cushion of the couch.
maybe your dog was a cat in a past life...that could be worked into the theme.

does anyone have any suggestions for something i can shoot by myself while completely quarantined with the flu?

must...stay...off...the...wall...of...shame. gasp wheeze ack
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #52
Major Player

Thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
I'm using a version of "O Holy Night"

I think that is also considered "safe" to use.
Hey Mike- thanks for the reply. I thought our song was "safe" too. However, after thorough researching, found out it is copyrighted and NOT public domain. Complete bummer!

I'm not going to do all of this work only to have an illegal/copyrighted song in my film. One, it isn't right and two, the film will be DQ'd. Not going to happen.

Be careful and be sure...that's all I can say.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #53
Major Player

Poor Meryem

Oh no! So sorry to hear you are feeling bad. Bummer! I hope you get feeling better soon.

If I have a brain flash of an idea for a little film for you, will let you know. Unfortunately, I seem to be frazzled at the present moment and unable to focus on anything. Hmm.

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #54
Major Player

Well, any artistic creation (song, movie, book...) will always have copyright. However it's the echonomical rights that disappear after x years. Here in Sweden it's 70 years after the creator(s) died. I think it's the longest at the moment. In the UK a song is copyrighted for 50 or 60 years after the time it was recorded.
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Hey Mike- thanks for the reply. I thought our song was "safe" too. However, after thorough researching, found out it is copyrighted and NOT public domain. Complete bummer!

I'm not going to do all of this work only to have an illegal/copyrighted song in my film. One, it isn't right and two, the film will be DQ'd. Not going to happen.

Be careful and be sure...that's all I can say.

Best wishes~
Bradley
How do I find this out? I have permission by the artist who recorded his version of "O Holy Night". Is that enough? The score was originally created back in the 1800's.
Surely public domain by now... no?
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
How do I find this out? I have permission by the artist who recorded his version of "O Holy Night". Is that enough? The score was originally created back in the 1800's.
Surely public domain by now... no?
Yeah, "o holy night" was written in the 19th century and if you have permission from the artist performing it and he/she isn't attached to any label it should be ok. But don't sue me if I am wrong! ;)
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #57
Major Player

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Holy_Night
Note that the new arrangement might be under new copyright but the original version (which I think everyone uses) should be ok...
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Yeah, "o holy night" was written in the 19th century and if you have permission from the artist performing it and he/she isn't attached to any label it should be ok. But don't sue me if I am wrong! ;)
There are no lyrics in his recording, strictly the music based on the original score.

With his creativity added to the mix. No label either...

Thanks,

Mike
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #59
Major Player

Hey Mike,

I believe Fredrik is right. Here in the States it is 50 years. As such, Oh Holy Night should fall into the Public Domain area.

Thanks again Fredrik!

Best wishes~
Bradley
Old December 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Hey Mike,

I believe Fredrik is right. Here in the States it is 50 years. As such, Oh Holy Night should fall into the Public Domain area.

Thanks again Fredrik!

Best wishes~
Bradley
Thanks guys, I figured something so old would be safe. You can hear a bit of the version that I am using here... http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...551#post589551

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge