How many finished DVC5? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old April 9th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I finished. I wrote it Thursday night. I was going to shoot friday, but, talent bailed on me. This really messed up the entire sequence. I had to cut several scenes, including the ones with the best "backdrop" scenarios. Instead I shot Saturday, primarily in the neighborhood.

The next problem, post. We only had from about 4:00 pm cst on Saturday until the deadline for post. I can't say I am happy about it but considering the rush and the short time, I think it came out OK. I would be interested in some feedback on the project.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Finished and sent email in last night.
Cory Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #18
Major Player

I finished and uploaded on Thursday night. It was tough to fit my idea into 5 minutes, but I think it'll stand up okay. I would have taken more time to tweak it but I had some freelance work this weekend to do, and had to be done a little early. I guess I'll catch up on my sleep this coming week...
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I Finished

I finished mine. I can't say I am completely pleased with it, but I am not completey disapointed with it either.

I did learn a lot and expect a better showing the next time.

Congratulations to everyone.
Scott Cozad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #20
Wrangler

The link to the movie Hugh and I finished was emailed Thursday because I had to go out of town. That's the earliest I've ever completed anything in my life!
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #21
Major Player

Finished also

Keeping true to my usual form, the daily workload averaged out as being inversely proportional to the time left. So basically the first couple of weeks was a bit of contemplation and a little scripting. Then finally some script editing, and rescripting. Then came some shooting, followed by video editing, a bit more shooting and voice recording with a couple of days remaining. Then madly editing and trying to make something of it. It was so last minute. And the version that was uploaded wasn't the final version I had in the editor within the time, but uploading takes ages so I need to factor that in more for next time.

We/I finished, and while the story was largley what was on paper to start, audio problems plagued things a lot. So it's a bit corny with music used to drown out some of the hiss, and voiced over audio that doesn't sound like field audio - maybe I needed more mattresses indoors. But I think it went alright, the real test is what the wider audience thinks.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #22
Trustee

It's late and I am loosing my tiny mind but by my count, so far, we have 19 entries. That's a lot especially since we had up to 5 minutes this time. That's a feature film, 95 minutes of shorts for the judges to play with.

Others might not have reported in yet too.

We'll see what happens when Dylan makes his return known. Hope he's not Lion chow. Haven't heard from the boy in a while now.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #23
Wrangler

I'll be on the wall of shame (hanging my head in shame now). I was just too, too, too busy to shoot for fun over the past several weeks.

But I hope my efforts at the Texas Shootout have paid society back in full for my sin of omission. Looking forward to seeing the submissions once I'm caught up!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Hang me on the Wall too. It was written, mostly shot, but never put together. I guess you'll have to wait until a later time to see the site of the Great Egret Massacre of Carrollton, Texas.
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Finished! The last 48 hour film contest I entered, I missed the finish time by 6 minutes. For the DV Challenge, I made it by 6 minutes. So, there's some improvement.

The DV Challenge film I shot and edited is nothing like I originally planned. But that's okay. At the level I'm working, nothing is ever quite like the film in my head. I couldn't get a human-looking heart, and I only had one day to shoot (instead of the two I originally had planned). And only one of my greenscreens worked out. Got way too much fringe and spill from the green on the actor's face and clothes -- which made it close to impossible to greenscreen. Oh well, live and learn. Maybe next time, I'll test it out before hand. :)

I hope you guys enjoy it. It's a little cheesy, but I think it turned out well. I just watch the DVD downconversion of the HDV footage, and it looks sweet. The compression doesn't do the footage justice.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Boyer
I guess you'll have to wait until a later time to see the site of the Great Egret Massacre of Carrollton, Texas.
I trust "No Great Egrets were harmed in the making of this film" or should I have not asked? ;-)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #27
Trustee

I vote to remove the wall of shame. Too much stigma. Too much self-effacing flogging. We all try. If we don't make it, well, so what? We try harder next time. Who's with me?
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #28
Wrangler

ooooo, a revolt against the heavy-handed authorities! i love a good protest rally!

however, i love the wall of shame more. i embrace the oppressor.

it's the only way i would ever finish one of these (i've finished three now), as silly as it sounds. also, it makes me consider a bit more carefully in advance, whether or not i can manage my time and myself.

i refer you to my ALL-TIME FAVORITE DV Challenge submission:

http://www.dsvid.com/DVinfo/QT.mov

Chris Thiele is a mastermind of minimalist videography genius!

this video should be required viewing before anyone signs up for the rigors of a DV Challenge!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #29
Major Player

Hi Hugh,

I think the Wall of Shame is a motivator for many people. An extra incentive to finish through the emotional concept of fear or shame. No- this doesn't apply to everyone, I'm sure. After all, some people are motivated by moving towards something and others by avoiding or moving away from a situation.

Then there are a few oddballs, like myself, who are equally inspired to stay OFF the Wall of Shame and accomplish a personal goal of completing a project in a given time frame.

My vote is to keep it.
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
I trust "No Great Egrets were harmed in the making of this film" or should I have not asked? ;-)

Actually, it it happened about 6 years ago. I was just going to use the site in my movie.

Date: Sunday, August 02, 1998 8:20 AM

The city of Carrollton, Texas bulldozed an active rookery on Thursday, July
23 at 4:30AM. This rookery housed thousands of egrets, great egrets and
herons of various kinds. It took place on city property which had been
donated by Don Josey, father of Melissa Gribble, a federally licensed
wildlife rehabilitator.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge