DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC6 Official question thread. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/71326-dvc6-official-question-thread.html)

Dylan Couper July 12th, 2006 12:04 AM

DVC6 Official question thread.

To dodge the two most commonly asked questions...

No, I haven't picked the theme yet.

Yes, I can be bribed. Preferably heavily, and often!

Edward Troxel July 12th, 2006 06:57 AM

How about blackmailed? I HAVE the pictures!

Mike Teutsch July 12th, 2006 07:35 AM

Hey Dylan,

Consider any and all types of bribes covered!

Also, can we get a heads-up on the judging method, panel or entrants?

Mike

Leslie Dopkiss July 12th, 2006 08:56 AM

ok, here's a real wimpy question: how long can I wait to decide if I want to embarass myself and enter? I REALLY want to do this, but have no experience, old equipment, new computer and new NLE. But then this is a reason to get out there and TRY, right? Right? Wish I could be someone's crew just to see how it's done. But then I wish a lot of things!

Bottom line: how long can I wait to decide?

Lorinda Norton July 12th, 2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Yes, I can be bribed. Preferably heavily, and often!

Do you take Paypal? I lost your address. ;)

Leslie, you have until the night of Aug. 3 when Dylan posts the theme.

Note to Edward: Next year we all need to do something about your camera. No more evidence! :)

Mike Teutsch July 12th, 2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Do you take Paypal? I lost your address. ;)

Leslie, you have until the night of Aug. 3 when Dylan posts the theme.

Lorinda, yes he does take paypal and I have the address, ahh, just for ordering t-shirts though!!!!

Leslie, if it starts to fill up, too many entries, there may be a limit put on the number of entries, so keep an eye on that.

Mike

Harris Porter July 12th, 2006 10:46 AM

Judging

Who judges the films? And on what merits? Does the panel target specific categories or just weigh each film as a whole?

Edit: Woops. Just noticed my question is very similar to Mike's. Perhaps we can both be answered in one swoop.

William Gardner July 12th, 2006 11:20 AM

Dylan,

What will be the limit on film duration this time? 5 minutes? 3? 4? 100? :)

Bill

Dylan Couper July 12th, 2006 07:31 PM

Duration: under 3 minutes, with a little leeway.

Judging: Probably the same as DVC5, by the group, unless I change my mind. Films are judged 50% on technical merit, 50% on story/use of the theme.

Blackmail works as well, except I have almost no sense of shame, as most people learned in Vegas... :)

Did I miss anything?

Harris Porter July 13th, 2006 10:45 AM

Time

What was the time limit for DVC5? I'd just like to get an idea of how much time everyone had to make those, many of which were very good.

Also, what exactly is "a little leeway?" Thirty seconds? Fifteen? One? And that running length does NOT include end credits, right? What about intro credits? Extended title sequences? Intermission?

Philip Gioja July 13th, 2006 12:25 PM

I think we had four weeks with dvc5, so this one will be a bit faster paced.

Dylan, had a crazy idea for posting our videos. What if we create a group on youtube.com and post all our videos there? It's free as best I can tell, and if people had trouble uploading at least everyone would be doing the same thing. It'd give us a little bit of visibility outside of dvinfo too.

Chris Barcellos July 13th, 2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harris Porter
What was the time limit for DVC5? I'd just like to get an idea of how much time everyone had to make those, many of which were very good.

Also, what exactly is "a little leeway?" Thirty seconds? Fifteen? One? And that running length does NOT include end credits, right? What about intro credits? Extended title sequences? Intermission?

It seems if your credits made run a little over, it wasn't a big deal. I don't know if anyone has been disqualified for too long. Of course if we are the judges like last time, and someone tries to exploit overtime usage, the judges may take that into account. So keep it close...

Rob Lohman July 13th, 2006 12:53 PM

No-one has been disqualified... yet :) Like Dylan said, it's not a big deal if you
run a bit over. Credits do not count for your running time, as long as you don't
make your credits the movie (like perhaps Pixar likes to do.... hehe)

Dylan Couper July 13th, 2006 03:55 PM

What Rob said. If you started pushing 4 minutes (total length) I'd probably get annoyed. 15 seconds is very safe. I don't want to stifle a good story with a hard time limit.

DVC 5 was longer, but the contest took 4 weeks so...

Michael Fossenkemper July 13th, 2006 07:01 PM

ahhhhhhh, ooooooooo, mmmmmmmm.

Just thinking back to the good ole' days (DVC5) where we had 4 wonderful glorious weeks.