DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The DV Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/)
-   -   DVC6 Official question thread. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-challenge/71326-dvc6-official-question-thread.html)

Dylan Couper July 12th, 2006 12:04 AM

DVC6 Official question thread.

To dodge the two most commonly asked questions...

No, I haven't picked the theme yet.

Yes, I can be bribed. Preferably heavily, and often!

Edward Troxel July 12th, 2006 06:57 AM

How about blackmailed? I HAVE the pictures!

Mike Teutsch July 12th, 2006 07:35 AM

Hey Dylan,

Consider any and all types of bribes covered!

Also, can we get a heads-up on the judging method, panel or entrants?

Mike

Leslie Dopkiss July 12th, 2006 08:56 AM

ok, here's a real wimpy question: how long can I wait to decide if I want to embarass myself and enter? I REALLY want to do this, but have no experience, old equipment, new computer and new NLE. But then this is a reason to get out there and TRY, right? Right? Wish I could be someone's crew just to see how it's done. But then I wish a lot of things!

Bottom line: how long can I wait to decide?

Lorinda Norton July 12th, 2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Yes, I can be bribed. Preferably heavily, and often!

Do you take Paypal? I lost your address. ;)

Leslie, you have until the night of Aug. 3 when Dylan posts the theme.

Note to Edward: Next year we all need to do something about your camera. No more evidence! :)

Mike Teutsch July 12th, 2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Do you take Paypal? I lost your address. ;)

Leslie, you have until the night of Aug. 3 when Dylan posts the theme.

Lorinda, yes he does take paypal and I have the address, ahh, just for ordering t-shirts though!!!!

Leslie, if it starts to fill up, too many entries, there may be a limit put on the number of entries, so keep an eye on that.

Mike

Harris Porter July 12th, 2006 10:46 AM

Judging

Who judges the films? And on what merits? Does the panel target specific categories or just weigh each film as a whole?

Edit: Woops. Just noticed my question is very similar to Mike's. Perhaps we can both be answered in one swoop.

William Gardner July 12th, 2006 11:20 AM

Dylan,

What will be the limit on film duration this time? 5 minutes? 3? 4? 100? :)

Bill

Dylan Couper July 12th, 2006 07:31 PM

Duration: under 3 minutes, with a little leeway.

Judging: Probably the same as DVC5, by the group, unless I change my mind. Films are judged 50% on technical merit, 50% on story/use of the theme.

Blackmail works as well, except I have almost no sense of shame, as most people learned in Vegas... :)

Did I miss anything?

Harris Porter July 13th, 2006 10:45 AM

Time

What was the time limit for DVC5? I'd just like to get an idea of how much time everyone had to make those, many of which were very good.

Also, what exactly is "a little leeway?" Thirty seconds? Fifteen? One? And that running length does NOT include end credits, right? What about intro credits? Extended title sequences? Intermission?

Philip Gioja July 13th, 2006 12:25 PM

I think we had four weeks with dvc5, so this one will be a bit faster paced.

Dylan, had a crazy idea for posting our videos. What if we create a group on youtube.com and post all our videos there? It's free as best I can tell, and if people had trouble uploading at least everyone would be doing the same thing. It'd give us a little bit of visibility outside of dvinfo too.

Chris Barcellos July 13th, 2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harris Porter
What was the time limit for DVC5? I'd just like to get an idea of how much time everyone had to make those, many of which were very good.

Also, what exactly is "a little leeway?" Thirty seconds? Fifteen? One? And that running length does NOT include end credits, right? What about intro credits? Extended title sequences? Intermission?

It seems if your credits made run a little over, it wasn't a big deal. I don't know if anyone has been disqualified for too long. Of course if we are the judges like last time, and someone tries to exploit overtime usage, the judges may take that into account. So keep it close...

Rob Lohman July 13th, 2006 12:53 PM

No-one has been disqualified... yet :) Like Dylan said, it's not a big deal if you
run a bit over. Credits do not count for your running time, as long as you don't
make your credits the movie (like perhaps Pixar likes to do.... hehe)

Dylan Couper July 13th, 2006 03:55 PM

What Rob said. If you started pushing 4 minutes (total length) I'd probably get annoyed. 15 seconds is very safe. I don't want to stifle a good story with a hard time limit.

DVC 5 was longer, but the contest took 4 weeks so...

Michael Fossenkemper July 13th, 2006 07:01 PM

ahhhhhhh, ooooooooo, mmmmmmmm.

Just thinking back to the good ole' days (DVC5) where we had 4 wonderful glorious weeks.

Edward Slonaker July 16th, 2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
ahhhhhhh, ooooooooo, mmmmmmmm.

Just thinking back to the good ole' days (DVC5) where we had 4 wonderful glorious weeks.

LOL! Yeah, and used THREE of 'em figurin' out what the heck to shoot and crammed everything in the fourth.

This will be my first "one-week, 3-min" DVC. Just got two Dell 19" LCD monitors that are gonna work PERFECT for editing.

OH, GREAT idea on the "youtube.com" thing.

Sean McHenry July 24th, 2006 11:33 AM

Yeah, 4 weeks of sweating in my sleep, ah sleep, I remember that...and thinking I had all the time in the world. Then that last time I looked, 3 weeks and 2 days had gone by before I got an idea that looked like a real idea and not Jell-O.

I like 1 week. It makes you think on your feet, at work, while trying to fall asleep, etc.

Makes for an interesting lost weekend too. Dylan knows about those from looking at his past entries.

Sean

Dylan Couper July 25th, 2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
Makes for an interesting lost weekend too. Dylan knows about those from looking at his past entries.

If you can't edit drunk... you can't edit.

Mike Teutsch July 25th, 2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

If you can't edit drunk... you can't edit.

I'll drink to that, and often do!

Dennis Khaye July 26th, 2006 01:09 AM

Now there's a challenge I'm up for.

Bruce Broussard August 7th, 2006 03:20 PM

Run time

I have a question, in dvc5 we had 5 minutes, the official rules say 3 minutes.

How much time can we have ?

William Gardner August 7th, 2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Broussard
I have a question, in dvc5 we had 5 minutes, the official rules say 3 minutes.

How much time can we have ?

See message #9 in this thread. Dylan says "under 3 minutes, with a little leeway"

Bill

Dylan Couper August 7th, 2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Gardner
See message #9 in this thread. Dylan says "under 3 minutes, with a little leeway"

Bill

Yup. 3 Minutes.

Thanks Bill!

Peter Ferling August 7th, 2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

...I like 1 week. It makes you think on your feet, at work, while trying to fall asleep, etc.

Speak for yourself, add-in rotoscoping, compositing and the real fun stuff like manual matchmoving... you can spend a whole day on one scene, ugh! I wish I had four weeks!

OK, Rant over, too much coffee (my face feels like I ate too many cheeseburgers... OK, you didn't need that... Sorry, I have to get back to fusion...

Dennis Khaye August 8th, 2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

my face feels like I ate too many cheeseburgers
LOL, oh man is that your line? Do you mind if I use it?

Too funny. I was sitting here laboring over color correction when I read that. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

Bruce Broussard August 8th, 2006 06:32 AM

Quote:

Yup. 3 Minutes.

Thanks Bill!

Now then, what am I going to do with my extra 10 minutes of video ? :)

Fredrik-Larsson August 8th, 2006 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Broussard
Now then, what am I going to do with my extra 10 minutes of video ? :)

Make a directors cut?

Harrison Freedman August 8th, 2006 08:57 AM

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but has DVC6 started yet? and where can I sign up?

Fredrik-Larsson August 8th, 2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison Freedman
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but has DVC6 started yet? and where can I sign up?

It started about 5 - 6 days ago and I think since the theme is announced it's too late to sign up.

Harrison Freedman August 8th, 2006 09:04 AM

I'll wait till DVC7 then :P

Sean McHenry August 10th, 2006 08:32 AM

Official end time? I lost track of when this one needs posted to the web. I know I saw it someplace but this is the official question thread. Something like 3am Sunday my time (Ohio) as I recall.

Sean

Hugo Pinto August 10th, 2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Official end time? Something like 3am Sunday my time (Ohio) as I recall.

Sean

Sean, according to Dylan, we "have until next Sunday night", as "the contest closes, SUNDAY -MIDNIGHT PST- AUGUST 13th". Humm, I guess I can pull an all-nighter and send it by Monday 8am Portuguese (that is, GMT) time.

Fun fun, less hours to sleep...

Hugo

Sean McHenry August 10th, 2006 09:17 AM

I'll take that as 3am Monday morning thenuntil I hear different. Cool.

It will take a while to fake the destruction of the entire planet...

Sean

Robert Martens August 10th, 2006 01:43 PM

If I could get a little clarification on a rule that I'm sure I should understand by now, are we allowed to show the film to those involved in its creation before it's actually been posted to the entrants thread? I just got off the phone with Robin Whitmore at UCO/Lick Observatory about permission to use one of their images in my movie; then there's the gentleman who's providing music for the film. Everyone's been so friendly and helpful so far that I'd feel kind of bad about making them wait to see their own material on screen.

Are they exceptions to the rule, or will they join the rest of the internet in anxiously awaiting my next masterpiece?

Rob Lohman August 10th, 2006 01:48 PM

It should not publically be visible before the challenge publishes the links.
Obviously people in your team can see it as long as you don't put it up
somewhere for the world to see (so give them a DVD or something?).

Disclaimer: I would wait for the final word on this from Dylan before proceeding...

Robert Martens August 10th, 2006 02:10 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm fine with keeping it a secret until the thread goes up, I just thought I should ask, if only to know; that way when someone asks me, in the future, when they can see a film they've helped with, I have an answer for them.

Nothing to worry about, really, as I haven't shot a single field of video to date. Looks like I'll gain a true appreciation of the phrase "crunch time" in the next day or two.

Dylan Couper August 11th, 2006 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
It should not publically be visible before the challenge publishes the links.
Obviously people in your team can see it as long as you don't put it up
somewhere for the world to see (so give them a DVD or something?).

Disclaimer: I would wait for the final word on this from Dylan before proceeding...

You got it Rob!

You can show it to all your buddies, just no public displaying on the internet until after we display the URL here.

Chris Barcellos August 13th, 2006 12:17 AM

Dylan:

So I sent my links using the email system on DVInfo.net for you. I can't recall if that is correct or not. How do I know if you got it ?

Edit: Alright, I found the first thread, and discovered it goes via DVChallege email account. I sent again.

John Brickner Jr August 13th, 2006 12:33 AM

I used what email was provided on thedvchallenge.com. thedvchallenge@hotmail.com

If there was any other way to submit. I don't know about it.

Edward Slonaker August 13th, 2006 04:16 AM

Quote:

I'll take that as 3am Monday morning thenuntil I hear different. Cool.

It will take a while to fake the destruction of the entire planet...

Sean

Isn't "SUNDAY -MIDNIGHT PST- AUGUST 13th" equal to 3:00 a.m. SUNDAY EST?? The deadline (from what I've seen) has been midnight Sunday which means you had until 11:59:59 Saturday night to post your entry.

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what defines "midnight Sunday" on these challenges.